Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,746   Online: 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Acros in Xtol what agitation for 1:2, 1:3?

Hi all, I have used acros in the past with ilfasol and found it to be very clean with no grain. With my new xtol I am thinking about developing at 1:2 or 1:3 dilution to increase the sharpness. I want to do this without producing noticeable grain. Can people share their experiences of acros in Xtol at 1:2 or 1:3 Vs 1:1 dilution? Does it noticeably increase sharpness/grain? I would love to know a good agitation method for 1:2/1:3 with acros too.

Thanks Paul
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want increased sharpness with little grain and better tonality, use replenished XTOL [that means full strength]. After you used it for a while, you will forget about diluting XTOL at all.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak no longer recommends dilutions higher than 1+1 due to unpredictable results.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Hi all, I have used acros in the past with ilfasol and found it to be very clean with no grain. With my new xtol I am thinking about developing at 1:2 or 1:3 dilution to increase the sharpness. I want to do this without producing noticeable grain. Can people share their experiences of acros in Xtol at 1:2 or 1:3 Vs 1:1 dilution? Does it noticeably increase sharpness/grain? I would love to know a good agitation method for 1:2/1:3 with acros too.

Thanks Paul
    Acros is an extremely fine grained film, and will likely be finer grained in XTOL at various dilutions than with Ilfosol (which operates at a significantly higher pH). While generalizations are difficult, assuming a constant contrast index, 1:3 will be slightly grainier than 1:1. Pretty much nothing else will happen, regardless of whether you agitate every minute or every three minutes. Longer agitation intervals can sometimes give the impression of increased sharpness if edge effects are enhanced, but I doubt you'd observe anything significant under this scenario. With general purpose solvent developers and current films, differences in image structure characteristics due to changes in agitation and/or dilution tend to be greatly exaggerated and clouded by subjective responses. For example, an increase in graininess often leads to a perceived increase in sharpness. Even the shape of the characteristic curve is more difficult to change than people assume.

The best thing is for you to try XTOL and stock, 1:1 and perhaps 1:3, under the same controlled exposure conditions, and developed to the same contrast index. Make some prints and decide what you see.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 09-19-2013 at 07:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Acros is an extremely fine grained film, and will likely be finer grained in XTOL at various dilutions than with Ilfosol (which operates at a significantly higher pH). While generalizations are difficult, assuming a constant contrast index, 1:3 will be slightly grainier than 1:1. Pretty much nothing else will happen, regardless of whether you agitate every minute or every three minutes. Longer agitation intervals can sometimes give the impression of increased sharpness if edge effects are enhanced, but I doubt you'd observe anything significant under this scenario. With general purpose solvent developers and current films, differences in image structure characteristics due to changes in agitation and/or dilution tend to be greatly exaggerated and clouded by subjective responses. For example, an increase in graininess often leads to a perceived increase in sharpness. Even the shape of the characteristic curve is more difficult to change than people assume.

The best thing is for you to try XTOL and stock, 1:1 and perhaps 1:3, under the same controlled exposure conditions, and developed to the same contrast index. Make some prints and decide what you see.
    Thanks Michael, a detailed response I feel happier to go no now! Thanks Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone have some agitation advice for Xtol/Acros?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agitation changes the tones. Longer agitation intervals, like every 5 minutes, will cause you to need longer development times. That longer developing time lifts the shadows for more effective film speed, and the highlight contrast is lowered. Midtones remain similar.

Short agitation intervals, like 5s every 30s will do the opposite. Since you need shorter developing time, the shadows are developed less, and the highlights reach full density faster.

I use this for different lighting. Normal to low contrast lighting I end up with normal agitation. In high contrast scenes I use reduced agitation.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One minute intervals after initial agitation is fine. You can go shorter to 30 second intervals or longer (2-3 minutes). Development times might change a little, but the shape of the curve will remain more or less the same.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Guys! This is enlightening

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I develop with Xtol @ 1:1 and use the agitation recommended by Fuji: Constant for the first minute and then 5 seconds every minute thereafter.

Thoma
    Thomas

No art passes our conscience in the way that film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.
    — Ingmar Bergman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin