Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,748   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Agfa APX 25 Newbie with a few comments I mean questions.

This film needs a LOT of light. It took 3 rolls to really dial it in. This film curls like crazy! Thank god I can keep a cool head while I have a curled up roll in one hand and the 120 reel in the other. Thank god the substrate is flexible enough to handle the loading cycle. Did a 18 minute stand development using Rodinal 1:100 on a scene that was 10 stops and it worked! It took a 16 second exposure. Of course this is because I was using a 75 Nikkor SW with a CF IIIB and a #11 filter. The format is a 6x17 Shen-Hao. I find that ISO 12 is more realistic. Just picked up a case (10 sealed bricks 07/2005) and it wasn't cheap. I have a d800E with some great lenses but the 6x17 is a mind bender. I love the format and this particular camera is wonderful. The whole rig with 75 nikkor, 110XL, 210S-S with filters, film holder, camera, and accessories fit perfectly in my backpack and it's light! Wahoo!

Any commentary or experience with APX 25 is welcome!
    Last edited by jetcode; 09-20-2013 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never used this film, but would be interested to see the results from the Shen Hao.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will be scanning soon. I am off to Big Sur next week.

I do have a question for experienced APX 25 users. There doesn't appear to be a glue seal at the end of the roll. I don't know how to keep the roll from unraveling. Any advice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like APX25 a lot for my 35mm cams...I do find it is more workable at EI12, but I use a red filter a lot, which brings my effective EI down to 3 or so.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are a newbie to photography then a slow film and stand development are not the best choices. Slow films have very little latitude and pose a challenge with correct exposure. Stand development distorts the tonal scale of the film. A better choice would be a medium speed film and normal development. Once you have mastered such a combination you can try other more demanding films and techniques.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-20-2013 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    I will be scanning soon. I am off to Big Sur next week.

I do have a question for experienced APX 25 users. There doesn't appear to be a glue seal at the end of the roll. I don't know how to keep the roll from unraveling. Any advice?
    I'm presuming you mean when you've unloaded a finished 120 roll? Keep a packet of rubber bands in your pocket (or stickytape).

I've got a few APX25 and APX100 in 135 in the freezer, just scored a frozen 50' roll for cheap too. I keep hearing how APX and Rodinal were born to work together, any suggestions for times and/or agitations? I can get times from the MDC, are they accurate? And is it better to do less agitations every 30s, or more every 2 mins?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not a newbie at photography. I took classes in the mid 90's and have been shooting ever since. I am not a newbie to film either. I have had several darkrooms. I have never shot APX 25 before now.

The stand development was to introduce a N-2 development since I had 10 stops of light and most all the detail was in the mud. So I brought the mud up to zone IV which would have blasted the highlights way out. Fortunately there is little detail in the highlights in this particular scene. I will put the negs on a light table and take a closer look at the highlights in the next day or two.

There are some links online for developing APX 25. I knew that I needed a contraction so my agitation was sparse and mostly in the first minute or two followed by longer periods of stand and the occasional inversion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your clarification. The title was a bit ambiguous so I hedged my post by prefacing it with "If".
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a few APX25 and APX100 in 135 in the freezer, just scored a frozen 50' roll for cheap too. I keep hearing how APX and Rodinal were born to work together, any suggestions for times and/or agitations? I can get times from the MDC, are they accurate? And is it better to do less agitations every 30s, or more every 2 mins?
    My standard N time for APX100 in 120 is 11minutes in Rodinal 1+50 20C gentle agitation the first minute and 10 seconds gently every minute thereafter.
    APX25 10 minutes with same dilution, agitation and temperature.
    Printing with a condenser head but they scan well too at this combo.
    APX and Rodinal are made for each other as far as I am concerned.

Should ad that I shoot APX100 at 100 and APX25 at 20

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin