Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,091   Online: 910

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    You do realize that the Fototechnik Suvatlar link I posted above sits directly on Moersch's web page, yes?
    No, I didn't. If I did, perhaps I wouldn't have posted the suggestion, yes?

I was just trying to help.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Also note there are two forms of sodium metaborate, -4mol and Kodalk. Silverprint used to sell Kodalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, as I said in my OP:

Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Silverprint no longer carry it
    Regarding 4-mol and 8-mol, I have read posts here at APUG that suggest it is of no importance which is used for photographic work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, as I said in my OP:

Regarding 4-mol and 8-mol, I have read posts here at APUG that suggest it is of no importance which is used for photographic work.
    Which version you have will affect the amount needed, as one contains more water of crystallization.

It's discussed here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...ntrate-34.html
    It would be of interest to check with Moersch they sell Kodalk if you use this supply.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow, this is enlightening. Never had an inkling that sodium metaborate could be so confusing. It would seem the moral of the story is to always use Kodalk, and hope the publisher of whatever formula you're using had it in mind.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Silverprint no longer carry it
    Oh bu***r. I had it on my list of stuff for the next order. Will have to try other sources...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sodium metaborate is not any different from any other chemicals. You must know the hydration form called for in the formula. Another example would be sodium carbonate -- anhydrous or monohydrate? Unfortunately many formulas are not written in a very accurate form.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Sodium metaborate is not any different from any other chemicals. You must know the hydration form called for in the formula.
    The confusion comes from the fact that tetrahydrate can mean two different forms of hydration (NaBO2 * 4 H2O and Na2B2O4 * 4 H2O), something which is not an issue with most other compounds including Sodium Carbonate. The Xtol Concentrate thread referenced by Alan Johnson sheds some light on this.

@Alan: Moersch does sell Sodium Metaborate through Fototechnik Suvatlar, see my previous post here in this thread.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are 3 hydration forms of sodium metaborate' as evidenced by 3 CAS numbers

Anhydrous (NaBO2) CAS 7775-19-1
    A dihydrate (NaBO2.2H2O or as Na2B2O4.4H2O ) CAS 16811-11-6
    A tetrahydrate (NaBO2.4H2O or as Na2B2O4 .8H2O) CAS 10555-76-7

Things are made rather confusing by representing the anion in two different forms BO2- or as B2O4-2. Once the anion is represented the same way it is easy to see the different forms.

The tetrahydrate converts to the dihydrate above 53.6C (128F).
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-27-2013 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin