Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,993   Online: 1178

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received a bunch of paper from a former film photographer (he's given up film work). I tested much of it and I could find no rhyme or reason as to what was good and what was bad. I.E. testing different packages from the same era, some good and some bad. Based on packaging, sometimes newer paper was bad while older paper was good.

So, as others have said, test it.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for all the replies. Later today if I can I'll post some pictures and list what I have. I figured it may come down to try it and see if it works, so that's what I'll be doing with most of it. It'll be a little bit yet before I can start printing, I have to setup the darkroom first. I also got his Omega Super Chromega D Dichroic II Enlarger. it has a 3 lens turret with Rodenstock lenses. Unfortunately the lenses have fungus not just on the outside but between the elements too. I think they are salvageable, but we will see. This enlarger make my Beseler 23C look small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrpanda View Post
    And if the paper turns out to be fogged, it's PRECIOUS for Lumen prints (sunlight photograms without developer, only fixer). See www.alternativephotography.com). I have a whole stack I inherited, and I've gotten wonderful colors on the fogged paper lumen prints.
    YES! I look for old paper at photo shows, etc. just for this reason. See the Lumen print section on my web site for the great results.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok so here it is, the list of what I got:

1. Oriental Seagull G4 16x20
    2. Oriental Seagull G2 16x20
    3. Kodak Polycontrast III RC 8x10, 16x20
    4. Kodak Polycontrast Rapid II RC 8x10 (He has hand written "For Contact Sheets" on this box, not sure why)
    5. Kodak Polycontrast Rapid II RC 8x10, 11x14
    6. Ilford Multigrade IV FB Fiber 8x10
    7. Kodak P-Max Art RC 8x10, 11x14 full box 50 sheets
    8. Agfa Broveria Speed 8x10
    9. Kodak Polyfiber 11x14
    10. Kodak Ektalure 8x10
    11. Agfa multicontrast Premium MPC 310 RC 8x10
    12. Kodak PolyPrint RC 8x10 unopened 25 sheets

Most of the boxes/envelopes have been started, so I'm not sure of the condition or quantities in any of them, but seem to have been stored properly in light tight sleeves. Two of the packages are unopened. If any of this is good it'll keep me entertained for awhile. As far as dates, I didn't seen any printed on the packages but I did see a handwritten date on one of 1995, but I don't believe all of it is from that era, some seems newer. Fortunate for me, since he had this size paper I also got 4 Kodak 16x20 trays, 4 hard rubber 8x10 trays, 3 8x10 trays, and printing easels for all the sizes above. I'll have to read more about it but there's also Cibachrome Tubes and the motorized roller for Cibachrome Prints.

I didn't just get the paper........ I got the entire darkroom, including the stainless steel sink. Included in the deal: Omega Super Chromega D Dichroic II Enlarger with 3 lens turret, Rodenstock and Minolta Rokkor enlarger lenses, power supplies, enlarging easels with one having been new in an unopened box, timers, 15 developing tanks in different sizes, photo paper listed above, 20 rolls of professional film, safelight, film drying clips, thermometer new in box, film dryer, paper safe, grain focusing, lots of stainless steel developing reels in 35mm, 120, and 220. All for the princely sum of..............$100USD. I think I made out pretty good. I have a few items I may sell off and this whole lot will probably have cost me nothing in the end but my time.

Shooter
    Medium Format

WOW... happy for you!

The reason he put for contact sheets is i don't think that paper was considered top of the line, so it wouldn't make sense to put your best print on it so contact sheets of negatives was his use for it... Fiber is more along those lines....

As for the IV FB from Ilford, i know that paper is pretty robust, and so is probably still good. (considering it goes from about .50 -$1 per sheet 8x10, any amount of this is good)
    The G2 is pretty ancient by paper standards, but this is when we find out how well stored it has been.
    the rest i don't know of.

i think the recommendation is to get a piece of paper from all of these packs, and develop each one for the standard 2-3 minutes and see if it greys/fogs up... If it doesn't that means it's still plenty good, if it does, as was mentioned earlier, you can try and save the paper, but i wouldn't print my best prints on it. Also, even if it doesn't fog, you have to consider that it might not print as intended after so long of being in storage (contrast issues).

On another note, congrats again on your awesome find, i similarly received plenty of stuff as well as a blessing from a photographer gone all digital all for the sum price of 100 as well (sans paper). Also consider each pack of WORKING paper as a return from your $100 bucks as it's probably the most costly part of darkroom work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lower contrast grades seem to last longer. I have some Oriental Seagull Grade 1 from the late 80's (the original Seagull, that Adams and Brett Weston used - the stuff in the silver package) that still prints beautifully. I also have some grade 4 of the same vintage which has lost a lot of its contrast punch.

Azo seems to last just about forever, although again the higher constrasts (3 and 4) lose a little bit of contrast over the years. Just a little. I've never kept any other paper for longer than 5 years or so.

If your Oriental paper is the original stuff from the 80s, cherish that paper. They really don't make 'em like that any more. It's really beautiful paper.
    Jim

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to now if the paper is any good, just check it like this seller on Ebay did:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Uber-300-Stue...p2047675.l2557

Hint: scroll down and check all the posted images of this auction ....
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Kodak P-Max Art RC 8x10, 11x14 full box 50 sheets." I also have a box of the 11x14 and it produces very nice show quality prints

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    If you want to now if the paper is any good, just check it like this seller on Ebay did:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Uber-300-Stue...p2047675.l2557

Hint: scroll down and check all the posted images of this auction ....
    My German is a little rusty, but I hope he didn't open all the sealed packages to photograph them.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin