Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,511   Online: 792

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How long will unexposed paper last?

I recently acquired the unwanted darkroom contents from a local photographer that was down sizing. Among the finds I received that day was an assortment of unused color and B&W papers. They have been sitting for awhile so I was wondering, how long is the paper still good for if stored properly? And what consists of "stored properly"? I'm still taking inventory or I'd list what I got.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's all kinds of different times for how long paper lasts. No way of telling. All you can do is try it. And get a jar of benzetriole and/or KBr and get busy. Personall I have found any package of Agfa is totally worthless when old. Others might disagree.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I guess I should state that the dates on the packages is around mid to late 90's. One Agfa, different Kodak papers, and some Ilford.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In general: it depends

I even got a batch of 60years old Gevaert paper that is still fine

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not too terribly bad. Sit tight and wait on the answers to start rolling in. I'm just an early bird on your question. Sharper people than me will soon chime in. GL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As someone who looks on ebay for paper (expense reasons), i now stay away from mgIII... which seems to at this point, begin to fog unless properly stored (as in kept in fridge/freezer for long term use, or kept in cool dark place with minimal changes in room temperature for short term use, which seems to be from right now up to about five years).

I was wondering if even after you get responses, which will probably suggest that you to test the papers themselves, if you could please list the results of your findings. which for general purposes might help others.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    with photo paper it is hit or miss, try some
    and if you like it, use it. there are chemicals you can put in your chemicals to
    "restrain" the grey, or there are some photo processes that spent paper is great for.
    have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had some old Forte graded paper which seemed to lose a grade over time. The grade 4 was grade 3. I did not get any of it less than grade 3. Received a fair amount but it was good practice. Trial/error is the only thing you can bet on on old paper. Buy the good stuff for your final prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    ...get a jar of benzetriole and/or KBr ...
    OP, in case you don't know. That would be Benzotriazole. KBr stands for Potassium Bromide.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    And if the paper turns out to be fogged, it's PRECIOUS for Lumen prints (sunlight photograms without developer, only fixer). See www.alternativephotography.com). I have a whole stack I inherited, and I've gotten wonderful colors on the fogged paper lumen prints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin