Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,169   Online: 991

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I switched to D-23 because I was having trouble with one of the D-76 ingredients (never determined which one) and found that D-23 was not significantly different, image-wise, and was easier to mix.

Switched to Rodinal for slow film for better accutance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the last 25 years have been using HC110 with Tri-X in 35mm (very little), 120 (a lot) and 4x5 format (moderately). Sometimes thinking of trying TMY and XTOL, also available in 3 formats, but never got around to it...It would be for curiosity, but the required testing is not fun to do and slows down my enthusiasm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No developer is more important than artistic content. But there are subtle differences...

I used D76 for a while then moved to (primarily) Xtol 1+1. The sharpness/speed/graininess are all just a tiny bit better than with D76, but you need to be looking at prints side-by-side to tell the difference. D76 achieves smoothness by smearing grains whereas Xtol seems to just not grow them as much, so less softening effect is required. The net result is both increased resolution and decreased grain: I can get a grain-free 16x20" print from 6x7 TMY2 at EI800. Even at EI1600, there is only the barest hint of grain.

Xtol is also far more convenient in the Jobo because I need only 75-100mL stock per roll, not 150-250mL. That matters a lot because I put 6 rolls in the tank, don't want to develop at stock concentration and need to keep the total volume to no more than 1L. With D76 at nominal capacity, I could develop only 2 rolls at a time and that would really suck.

I also use Rodinal for fine slow films. The tonal curve is quite different and I use it when aiming for a particular low-key look that Xtol won't give me.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with it.tried many others and came back to it;there is nothing much better than it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the way negatives come out in the developers I use with the film I use. They give me results that suit my taste.

IMHO, which developer you use depends somewhat on the film and/or lighting conditions, whether pushed/pulled, etc. —but most of it is just your preference, what combination gives you the look that you like. That, as much as anything, can help give your prints a signature.

I think D-76/ID-11 gets used in schools and literature more than others because it gives consistently good, predictable results with just about every film. It's the vanilla of developers. It's easy to forget how good plain vanilla is (now I'm getting hungry!)

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried most developers that were on the market back in the late 70s early 80s and since then have only used D76 diluted 1:1 @20degC and always one shot. This strategy affords great consistency in film processing and eliminates an important variable from the work flow. I think there is great merit in choosing a developer you like and sticking to it. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not moved away from D76/ID11, but have been playing with other developers. I like the concentrates because sometimes my B&W output is so low I end up wasting the D76 from lack of use. I also like variety in all aspects of my life, so wouldn't be happy with just one developer. Also, I'm still learning these other developers, so "important" film goes into D76 (I'm not great at developing, but am more consistent with D76).

Even if I end up preferring another, I find D76 a great general-purpose developer, so can't see not having some around.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm boring. Started with and used D76 for a long time, and was completely pleased with it. Then, I went to HC110 because the results are similar to D76 for my Tri-X and FP4, it's an easy to use one-shot, and it has a great shelf life. Oh, yes, and it's economical.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I run a D-76 shop. I think it's funny to say it that way, because I am one person.

Shooter
    35mm
    The choice of developer, as many people said, depends mainly on the artistic idea one wants to obtain, if not constrained by economical or other practical reasons. I particularly like black and white images with a classic, warm look and that is the main reason why I settled on Tri-x in D76 1+1 and Agfa APX-100 in Rodinal 1+50. They just make so perfect combinations for me, I cannot, at the moment, think of changing any of them. Moreover I don´t have yet many years of experience and keeping the same settings may be good for consistency as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin