Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,577   Online: 1185

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I find this hard to believe. Could this have more to do with the film/development and exposure you were using?
    No it's a result of the slight reduction in the Sulphite, 75 - 80 gm per litre is the optimal maximum level to give the best balance of sharpness, fine grain and tonal range. Agfa 44 (Ansco/GAF 17) is quite similar and again gives slightly better results.

The ASA developer used for film speed tests was almost identical to Adox Borax MMQ which is why it gives full box speed

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with D76/ID11 but moved to XTol about 12 years ago. In 35mm I primarily shoot TX400 in XTol 1+1. It gives me a bit more shadow detail in low light photography especially when shooting gigs and needing a "push". I just stick with it for all other formats up to 4x5 as its easy to mix, temperature control at 1+1 is simple and it has never let me down.

There aren't many developers I haven't tried once or twice including mixing up chemicals from scratch. While it's been an interesting distraction occasionally, I'm just not a natural chemistry or testing nerd! And as others have said above, a badly exposed and composed picture gains nothing from the difference between 'a' and 'b' developer.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Moved from D76 to XTol to get a little extra speed. It allowed me to learn and practice replenishment, a truly sweet way to work.

Moved from XTol to DD-X mostly for convenience. 1+4 is easy to measure and it gives me great negs. Yes, it is more expensive but at under $5 a month I don't care.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am new to film and have no much experience on developers, but i used few of them and what i found even it is not a fact or a proof is that liquid ready developers giving me better results over powdered developers mixed for stock.

I used D-76 2 packs until run out and the results were not bad but not amazing, only Acros was the best to develop with, but TMAX/HC-110 and even Ilfosol 3 all gave me sharp nice decent results, but i am planning to use D-76 for certain films, maybe for LF films, and for MF films i will stick with HC-110 and TMAX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use to use UFG but it was to hard to get, and use D76/ID11 for most everything.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    This is an interesting topic. I've only developed 2 rolls so far in D-76, just getting back into it. I'm perfectly happy with the results I guess but I'm not at the stage where I can tell the influence of the developer.

My only concern is shelf life. D-76 is cheap as chips but my out put is not high and I don't like things to go to waste. I may develop more now that my 30m roll of Delta 400 arrived. I might look in to HC-110 if it has a long shelf life? but I always intended to stick with one film and one developer until I got to know them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    I tried most developers that were on the market back in the late 70s early 80s and since then have only used D76 diluted 1:1 @20degC and always one shot. This strategy affords great consistency in film processing and eliminates an important variable from the work flow. I think there is great merit in choosing a developer you like and sticking to it. OzJohn
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I could only choose one developer it would (so far anyway) be D76/ID11. It's not the best or worst at anything but does everything pretty well.

When I started using TMY when T-Max films first came out I tried T-Max developer then T-Max RS (used one shot though) on the recommendation of a friend who ran a lab, and found I got a bit more speed from it, so I still tend to use it for those films and for pushing my remaining stock of TMZ and for Delta 3200.

I use Diafine for pushing Tri-X and for the the compensating effect on the highlights and a slight push of Pan F+.

That said, I have an unopened bottle of HC-110 I mean to try. I too don't get to develop often enough and a very long lived concentrate is appealing. I have tried Rodinal but (gasp! horrors!) was unable to get results I liked from it. That, however, was back in the 90s. I have a new bottle and will try it again too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    keeping properties, liquid concentrate allows fresh mix everytime.....I use Rodinal. I also like the look it gives with Tri-x in 35 and Acros in 120
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

I always had trouble getting consistent results out of D-76. It had to be my fault. There are many photographers who have used it very successfully, and it is an industry standard. (I think most of my problem was that I used it infrequently and never settled on a good, consistent system.)

I used it primarily for 35mm film when I did use it. I gave up on D-76 and found HC-110 gave me results more to my liking. I now use Pyrocat-HD for almost everything. Since I primarily use medium and large format cameras, I don't worry about grain. My 35mm work these days is almost non-existent, and much of what I used 35mm for is relegated to electronic means. (In other words, non-serious work.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin