Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,296   Online: 1149

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll be honest: I left D-76 in search of a magic bullet.

When I first started shooting film seriously (at age 15!), I used D76 and all the Kodak stuff available at the time. I was unsatisfied with my images, especially when I enlarged them. Lots of this was due to other issues. Poor focus, poorer exposure, mediocre equipment and lack of seeing. Therefore I searched the Gods of chemistry to avert my woes.

About the same time I upgraded enlarger, camera, and became more proficient right when I started using PMK. So in combo, my images dramatically increased in quality. After that it was habit until I started getting most of my chemistry either raw or otherwise from Bostick & Sullivan who turned me onto Pyrocat-HD, which I can print in my enlarger, via UV on alt processes, or scan with ease. Stuck with it ever since.

I do recommend D76 to beginners though...
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    ID-11 has an agent that prevents dissolved silver from replating itself onto the image, D-76 doesn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    ID-11 has an agent that prevents dissolved silver from replating itself onto the image, D-76 doesn't.
    Not any more. That was the old ID-11 PLUS. They found it caused problems with T-grain films after those were introduced and ID-11 went back to the old formula.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I'll be honest: I left D-76 in search of a magic bullet.
    D76 is the majic bullet.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Polyglot's link to the article about magic bullets is right on the mark.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    D76 is the majic bullet.
    Or the true generic standard.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Or the true generic standard.

Which shows that the film developer is only a very small part of the whole process, because many photographers have magical results with 'generic' products.
    Knowledge of how to use it to get the results needed is infinitely more important. Technique, knowledge, and hard work is the true magic bullet.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Which shows that the film developer is only a very small part of the whole process, because many photographers have magical results with 'generic' products.
    Knowledge of how to use it to get the results needed is infinitely more important. Technique, knowledge, and hard work is the true magic bullet.
    Exactly. That's what I was hoping to admit to. I just was young and naive and wanted to buy my way into better images.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In terms of developer I went from: DD-X > Ilfotec HC / HC-110 > Tetenal Ultrafin > Pyrocat-HD > D-76 > XTOL. I had reliability problems with Pyrocat-HD. XTOL is reliable, high quality, inexpensive, and convenient in mixing and storage terms; i.e. near room temperature mixing, and good shelf life of powered product prior to mixing into solution.

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As most, I started with D76. I moved to HC-110 when I started doing an experiment when I was using BTZS tubes for 4x5. I wanted to standardize on time and temp, and adjust contrast with changes to the developer concentration. Long story short, it was more trouble than it was worth, but I liked HC-110, both for the results, and the ease of mixing and stuck with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin