Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,163   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford Pan F storage

I found a roll of Ilford Pan F I put in a bag last year (120 if it matters) and forgot about. Is it still usable?
    --
    Rolleicord V, Bronica ETRS, Pentax KM, Minolta XG-M, Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35, Ansco Buster Brown No.3
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/51479229@N04/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes the Dog View Post
    I found a roll of Ilford Pan F I put in a bag last year (120 if it matters) and forgot about. Is it still usable?
    Unless you left the bag on the dashboard of your car parked in Death Valley, why not?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    My understanding of Pan F based on what others here have said is that, once exposed, the latent image on the film doesn't last as long as on other films so once you expose it then process the film as soon as possible. However I have seen nothing that suggests an unexposed Pan F doesn't have the same longevity as other films.

If it did then retailers would presumably be advised to sell the film within a relatively short time and I have heard nothing that suggests that Ilford gives that advice to its retailers in comparison with its other films

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, not familiar with it's properties. I know delta 3200 keeps poorly, so I wanted to be sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used plenty of short or outdated PanF with no problems, but as the others have said...do process it promptly after exposure. The poor latent image keeping is the reason that the edge numbering if often very faint on this film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By "usable", it sounds like it's not yet exposed. If so, it should be totally fine as the film keeps quite nicely in its unexposed state. It's only latent images that can have relatively poor life on this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    If so, it should be totally fine as the film keeps quite nicely in its unexposed state. It's only latent images that can have relatively poor life on this film.
    What if it is frozen after exposure? Does this simply slow the degradation of the latent image?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used pan f that was over 10 years old with no problem, very slight loss of speed was all. Slow film - slow to fog. Unless abused.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    What if it is frozen after exposure? Does this simply slow the degradation of the latent image?
    Don't know, sorry. I imagine it would, but freezing opened film is risky in terms of getting condensation on it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I still have Pan F (Pan F+?) motion picture stock. If it is exposed at an EI of 25 and if development is extended by about 50% the results are still good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin