Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,084   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to straighten old negs?

I am currently going through all my father's old medium format and 35mm negs and scanning them into the computer for him. Many of them he has never seen bigger than a contact print.

Two of the rolls have been stored since 1957 and 1960 respectively in their old screw top tin canisters. Consequently they are like a pair of Slinkys! I have them hanging at the moment with a small clothes peg on the bottom of each to weigh them down, in an attempt to straighten them.

Is there another method I could use without damaging them? They are both Ilford FP3 Panchromatic.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hanging them probably isn't a bad start. You could also cut them into strips, put them in neg sleeves, and put some weight on them.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks David, putting them in neg sleeves is the final intention, unfortunately they will become almost unmanageable if I cut them before they are reasonably straight. I am wary of mis-handling and damaging them. As soon as the weights are removed they spring right back into a tight little curl!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I am currently going through all my father's old medium format and 35mm negs and scanning them into the computer for him. Many of them he has never seen bigger than a contact print.

Two of the rolls have been stored since 1957 and 1960 respectively in their old screw top tin canisters. Consequently they are like a pair of Slinkys! I have them hanging at the moment with a small clothes peg on the bottom of each to weigh them down, in an attempt to straighten them.

Is there another method I could use without damaging them? They are both Ilford FP3 Panchromatic.
    I did a fair bit of this while in the archive. Assuming the base is polyester and not nitrile it can be done. ROll them on a processing reel and give them a god five minute soak in plain old water, then dip in photoflo, then hang them with the clips at the bottom. SHould do the trick. if the base is nitrile your SOL that stuff curls no matter what.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Never had to do anything like this, but how about a soak in water followed by normal drying?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry Mark, I didn't see your reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did think of giving them a bath. How long for? A few minutes? Overnight?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    What works somewhat is to take them out and roll them in reverse and put them back in the cans for a week. Not perfect, but I did 20 rolls this way enought to put them in pages. Then weighted down the pages flat.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just seen that mark said give them a good five minute soak... d'oh!

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a method mentioned above. I place the film in a negative sleeve, place it on a flat, hard surface and then stack books on top for a couple of days.

That seems to work great for most film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin