Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,226   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yup, this is standard with Forte paper....it's nothing to worry about. It can be a bit disconcerting the first time you compare a print that's been in the wash for a few minutes against one that's just come out of the fix, but you get used to it.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use Forte now and used Ilford paper in the past. I don't remember Ilford paper being yellow after the fix, but the Forte paper is definitely yellow until washed. It does not bother me at all and I don't consider it a problem. It has never stopped me from judging the quality of the print after the fix step.

P.S. The next paper I plan to try is the J and C Classic at 320 g/m2. Sounds heavy!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It's normal.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ...maybe I should have said a bit more. If you leave the print in a tray of water after fixing for a few minutes, the yellow will clear.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    I need help. I tried printing today on Forte Polygrade V FB and the paper has a yellow tint to it that only goes away after washing for about 5 minutes. It prints well and looks fine after washing, but is a distinct ivory color when removed from the fix. I was thinking that perhaps it was not clearing properly in the fix, so I tried both TF-4 and Ilford rapid fix, both mixed fresh today. I had the same problem with both fixers. I also tried 2 boxes of paper from 2 different elmulsion batches purchased about a month ago from Calumet and a box that I've had for a while and had the same thing happen on all of them. I have used this paper extensively in the past and never had any trouble. Anyone have any ideas?

I've noticed the same thing with the Forte paper I've used. I don't see the yellow-ish tinge on the image itself, but on the borders. However, it's not there following washing and dry-down, so I've concluded it's something to do with the chemistry of the brighteners or whatever that they put in the paper base itself. The dry prints look white, but the ones in the fixer are definitely yell0w-bordered.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I appreciate everyone's responses. It seems as if the yellow color I am seeing is normal, but I find it strange because I have used probably 500 sheets of Forte before this without a problem. The color really is fairly deep and I'm afraid that it will influence how I judge the prints. Washing the prints for even a few minutes before looking at them will slow down the printing process too much. I am about to start on a project where I will be making 5 copies each of about 100 different images and hope to have this trouble behind me when I start. Did Forte perhaps make a change to their paper recently?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin