Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,371   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Forte paper problem

I need help. I tried printing today on Forte Polygrade V FB and the paper has a yellow tint to it that only goes away after washing for about 5 minutes. It prints well and looks fine after washing, but is a distinct ivory color when removed from the fix. I was thinking that perhaps it was not clearing properly in the fix, so I tried both TF-4 and Ilford rapid fix, both mixed fresh today. I had the same problem with both fixers. I also tried 2 boxes of paper from 2 different elmulsion batches purchased about a month ago from Calumet and a box that I've had for a while and had the same thing happen on all of them. I have used this paper extensively in the past and never had any trouble. Anyone have any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How does it look coming out of the developer? Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds weird if it has not happened with the older batches a while back, however, I have some papers which look a tad jaundiced after the fix but whiten up very quickly in the wash. Most FB papers looks yellowish or grey prior to processing and come out whiter, but what you are describing sounds quite a bit yellower than this. For example my oriental seagul definitely is yellower after the fix prior to washing, but it is not ivory, but more of a very pale off white and not immediately obvious. It will even whiten up with a rinse in water prior to holding in a water tray ie without a proper wash.

I guess if it whitens up it cant be too much to worry about..? maybe......I hope!

I know Les has mentioned problems with Forte consistency and I experienced it for the first time recently with pack of paper a whole grade softer and 2/3 stop slower than the other batches!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,
    It looks fine in the developer. it's only after I turn the lights on that I can see a problem. The more I think about it the more I think it's a fixer problem, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are the lights you are using the same? Is it possible that you have only just noticed something that was always there?...I've done this one before!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it possible they have incorporated an antihalation dye into the emulsion that is a bit slow to wash out? Seems that would be good to hold fine detail contrast.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Is it possible they have incorporated an antihalation dye into the emulsion that is a bit slow to wash out? Seems that would be good to hold fine detail contrast.
    I had no idea that this was done with papers. Interesting thought......is it common in papers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not changed anything in my darkroom recently. I don't know anything about antihalation dyes in paper-do they do that? The problem I'm having is that the color is so deep that I can't judge the prints until they've washed for a few minutes and this takes too long and is too frustrating. I'm also worried about them not being fixed properly. I have some sodium thiosulfate and will try a simple hypo bath tomorrow to see if that works. I have a nagging suspicion that it's the fix and not the paper-at least I hope so as I have several boxes of the stuff and I really want to use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    I have not changed anything in my darkroom recently. I don't know anything about antihalation dyes in paper-do they do that? The problem I'm having is that the color is so deep that I can't judge the prints until they've washed for a few minutes and this takes too long and is too frustrating. I'm also worried about them not being fixed properly. I have some sodium thiosulfate and will try a simple hypo bath tomorrow to see if that works. I have a nagging suspicion that it's the fix and not the paper-at least I hope so as I have several boxes of the stuff and I really want to use it.
    How old are the chemicals in the trays that you are using?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's normal.. I reported this almost a year ago. Once it all goes to the rinsing stage then to the hold bath, the color dye should clear up.

Check here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7356-arista-edu-fiber-paper.html

Andy
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin