Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,217   Online: 1043
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Foma film

  1. #31
    mhcfires's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    540
    I find that Fomapan 100 in 120 is the curliest stuff ever made. I put the sleeved negatives in a reverse curl for a few days to calm the stuff down so that I can scan it.



    m
    Michael Cienfuegos


    If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,075
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcfires View Post
    I find that Fomapan 100 in 120 is the curliest stuff ever made. I put the sleeved negatives in a reverse curl for a few days to calm the stuff down so that I can scan it.
    Have you still had that problem with recent batches? I thought it got a lot better about the same time that the dye changed color.

    -NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

    The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

  3. #33
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,985
    Images
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Have you still had that problem with recent batches? I thought it got a lot better about the same time that the dye changed color.

    -NT
    Pretty big difference too! It still curls, but not uncontrollably so.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Posts
    1,337
    I am finding I like Fomapan 400 more than Kodak's Tri-X. I get the tonality I want with Foma that I have to fight for in Tri-X.

    I rate at 320 and use HC-100, dilution H.

    I scan my negatives at this time but look forward to darkroom printing in the near future.
    - Bill Lynch

  5. #35

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    228
    I really like Fomapan 100 in 35mm for the character, and wanted to share two indicative photographs. The first shows the lovely tones in diluted D-76 (1+1), here shot with a Minox 35:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8165005556_5279eded46_o.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	76222

    The second shows the severe flare (due to the poor anti-halation backing) at very high-contrast boundaries. This was shot with a $4000 Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH, one of the most impressive lenses ever made - but Fomapan, together with a Leica M3 that needs a shutter service, makes it look anything but :-)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9397512268_75e76fd406_o.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	76221

    For reference, with severe over-exposure with a different film (here Pan F) you see the difference a good anti-halation backing makes. This was shot at 1/60s, f/2.0 - enormously over-exposing the outside sky, yet not a trace of flare around the fine details of the glasses:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9394616483_b479052c8f_o.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	76223

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,522
    I've used a lot of 35mm 100 and 400 in bulk and factory cassettes current and '08 expired in Rodinal 1:100 stand and ID68 stock

    No problems, low base fog, nice grain, nice latitude and cheap.

    If I can't get any I use APX100, or Ilford film, couple of cans of 5222 to fall back on.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,075
    Images
    21
    That's an interesting flare comparison---thanks for posting it. A bit of flare susceptibility actually could account for the feeling many people have that Fomapan looks "vintage"; it's a roundabout way of recreating the flare concerns of uncoated glass!

    -NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

    The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    62
    I love Fomapan 400 in both 35 and 120, both developed in Rodinal

    Caught this chap texting his wife to see if she wanted another coffee



    this is 120 400


  9. #39
    TheToadMen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Netherlands, Europe
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    935
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    I really like Fomapan 100 in 35mm for the character, and wanted to share two indicative photographs. The first shows the lovely tones in diluted D-76 (1+1), here shot with a Minox 35:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8165005556_5279eded46_o.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	76222

    The second shows the severe flare (due to the poor anti-halation backing) at very high-contrast boundaries. This was shot with a $4000 Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH, one of the most impressive lenses ever made - but Fomapan, together with a Leica M3 that needs a shutter service, makes it look anything but :-)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9397512268_75e76fd406_o.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	76221

    For reference, with severe over-exposure with a different film (here Pan F) you see the difference a good anti-halation backing makes. This was shot at 1/60s, f/2.0 - enormously over-exposing the outside sky, yet not a trace of flare around the fine details of the glasses:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9394616483_b479052c8f_o.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	76223
    I like your images very much. And I like the 2nd image even best, despite the flare. Nice atmosphere there and good composition too.
    I imagined the 3rd image being a portrait of your father driving and old (British?) car with you as a kid on the back seat. An image I can relate to thinking back 40 years in time with a smile. A good image if it makes me do that.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup


    * "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin