Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,233   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Erson View Post
    How about heating up 3 liters of water, dissolve powder, add 0.8 liter of cold water = voila a gallon of fresh D-76...
    If you do this you'll actually end up with *more* than a US gallon as the powder occupies some space in the final product. You'll be adding a little less than 800 mL of water to attain the final volume.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format

measuring n

Restaurant supply stores are great for Plexiglas and/or polycarbonate measuring graduates including one gallon size. I have both one and one half gallon graduates from a local restaurant supply shop.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use a kettle/s of boiling water, a graduated measuring cylinder, a bucket, stirring rod and of course a thermometer. It is easier to cool the water to the required temperature by adding cold water and/or letting it stand, than trying to heat it up to the required temperature.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When mixing powdered developers, I boil the water. If your faucet has an aerator, it will add air(oxygen) to the water. I read a long time ago that boiling will remove the air from water. After boiling, I allow the water to cool until it is the required temperature, and then I mix the powder.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pour 3/4 gallon distilled water into a glass pot and heat to 130f, stir in the contents of the D-76 packet, when completely dissolved I add enough distilled water to make one gallon. When cooled to room temp, I decant into 250ml bottles.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll probably get some flak for this, but I use a measuring cup to fill a plastic gallon milk jug with one gallon of water, and mark the level. I then pour it out.

Then I add about half the powder to the jug, and fill it about 1/3 with water hot tap water, and shake it (I know, oxygen can get in). Then I add the other half of the powder and some more water and shake. Finally I pour in more water to the gallon mark and shake some more. I'll let it sit about a day, gently agitate again, then pour into 1-litre soda bottles filled to the top to exclude air (squeezing the bottle if necessary), and store.

I know the shaking can introduce air that will cause the developer to go off quicker. However, I usually don't run enough film to use the whole gallon before I feel I must dump it due to age. The last time I used D-76, I had half a gallon left which formed a precipitate after about 6 months. The precipitate disappeared disappeared after 2 more (it was just sitting, I did not stir or shake) and the developer was still good - to my amateur eyes it worked fine on a test roll.
    However, I don't know that it would be up to the standards of people who actually know what they are doing (people unlike me).
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a thermostatic mixing valve and a 4 liter graduated stainless steel pitcher. You can also get a plastic one like this: http://www.bascousa.com/us-metric-gr...ers-gm400.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    ............... fill it about 1/3 with water hot tap water, and shake it (I know, oxygen can get in). Then I add the other half of the powder and some more water and shake. Finally I pour in more water to the gallon mark and shake some more................ .
    I would think it takes a lot more muscle & energy to shake it than to just stir it?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I would think it takes a lot more muscle & energy to shake it than to just stir it?
    True, but I'm the type of lazy that would rather shake than get together the two additional items needed to stir
    Besides, it's only a gallon, and I'm not that out of shape... yet.
    Truzi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin