Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,738   Online: 1115

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

220 Reels

I have quite a few of the larger 4-1/4" diameter 220 reels.
    Stay away from the smaller 3-3/8" diameter reels, those thinner spiral wires are notorious for trouble.
    For color work I'd definitely stay away from the smaller reels.
    I've developed over a thousand 220 B&W films in acrylic tanks with these reels.

I also have a 6x12 Horseman roll film back (4x5 size) that can take 220 film...

PM me you're interest in a nugget or two, I'm cutting back on my shooting...

Reinhold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neg dev tanks 2 copy.jpg   IMG_0747.JPG  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have some of the larger size 220 stainless steel reels and tanks as well. The space between the spirals is the same as a 120 reel. I could never get the 3 inch 220 reels to work. Always got untracked. I wish they made b&w 220 still but that is a dead horse.

Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago I started a project for splicing 1-1/2 strips of 120 film and attaching it to salvaged 120 film wrappers.
    I would get two 220 rolls from three 120 rolls.
    A 102" long x 3" wide splicing table, infrared night vision goggles, some tape, and a cut down 120 wrapper was all It would take.
    I still have the drawings on where to make the splices...

About that time my life's activities changed so the project went onto indefinite hold.

But I'm still grouched about Ilford cutting off my cherished film format.
    It's ok Simon, I've (sort of) gotten over it.
    But if you would market bulk rolls of slit 120 film, some of us would still like to roll our own...

Reinhold

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    A few years ago I started a project for splicing 1-1/2 strips of 120 film and attaching it to salvaged 120 film wrappers.
    I would get two 220 rolls from three 120 rolls.
    Reinhold
    Unless I'm missing something wouldn't this give you 1.5 times the exposures of 120 not twice the number as with 220?

BTW although it is possible to develop 220 film in Paterson reels they don't appear to have been designed with that in mind. Unless the lead and tail ends are trimmed, it is impossible to fit a 220 film entirely within the spiral groove - there will be a few inches that need to be left curled around the outside of the reel. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    Unless I'm missing something wouldn't this give you 1.5 times the exposures of 120 not twice the number as with 220?

BTW although it is possible to develop 220 film in Paterson reels they don't appear to have been designed with that in mind. Unless the lead and tail ends are trimmed, it is impossible to fit a 220 film entirely within the spiral groove - there will be a few inches that need to be left curled around the outside of the reel. OzJohn
    The System 4 tanks list 220 as one of the sizes compatible with the reels.

And I regularly load two 120 films on a single reel without problems.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OzJohn:

You're absolutely right.
    I still can't believe I said that...

Reviewing my sketches, I was exploring the possibility of splicing a 15~16~17 exposure roll, since two 120's end-to-end would never fit onto a 120 spool. I was even toying with the idea of ordering a bulk roll of 120 film and winding a 19 exposure roll since my cameras would really squawk with a loosely wound 220 roll.

I still can't believe I said that...

Reinhold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The System 4 tanks list 220 as one of the sizes compatible with the reels.

And I regularly load two 120 films on a single reel without problems.
    Matt, is this with plastic or steel reels? If steel, how do you start the second roll right after the first in the correct portion of the spiral? I'd love to be able to run four 120 rolls at a time in my fat tank with 220 reels.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    the paterson system 4 uses plastic reels.
    Jobo reels have a special plastic tab, which can be pushed in after the first roll is loaded to prevent the second roll from over lapping. there are of course other, simple methods for loading 2 up 120 rolls on a single reels (paterson or Jobo) with no risk of overlap.
    Perhaps we should do out next video on that.

There is no way to load 2 rolls of 120 on a single SS reel, unless of course you tape the two roll together....
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I nearly always load 2x120 into Jobo spirals because they're designed to do that with the little red tab to keep the films separate, but have never done it with a Paterson. I believe that the trick is to run the first film all the way in plus a couple inches, start feeding the second film in until it just overlaps and then tape the two together. Then feed the second one in and let it push the first through.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the AP/Arista/Samigon reels that have the wider flanges, but work with the Paterson tanks.

I load the first roll of 120 into the reel. Once the full roll is loaded, I continue to push it further until the leading edge reaches the core - it stops there.

I then load the second roll untill it is fully on to the reel.

The rolls don't overlap - they both develop fine.

This does not work with either rotary agitation or agitation using the turning stick - that will cause the film to move in the channels of the reels, and may cause the rolls to overlap.

It does work with inversion agitation.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin