Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,044   Online: 1209

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

can you develop 35mm and 120 of the same film shot at same EI together?

i have a few rolls of 35mm and 120 of arista EDU 200, both shot at 100, and some tmax 100 35mm and 120 also shot at the same EI. can I develop them in a patterson tank at the same time, using the same time? or should they be developed separately. I'm thinking yes but thought I would ask first. I know its not an issue for color c41 and e6 but not sure about B&W.

thanks

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. As long as you have reels which fit, I use Nikor tanks so I don't know about Patterson.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was thinking of that the other day. A lot of times I will shoot Rollei and FE and use Delta ASA 100 for both films. Thats cool and a time saver.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Careful .....

If your standard developing times for Arista EDU 200 and TMax 100 happen to be either the same or very close (within 1/2 a minute of each other?) then go right ahead. Remember that the TMax will require a longish time in the fixer.

If your times for the two types of film differ, you cannot conveniently develop them together, unless you are willing to add films part way through the development process (in total darkness of course).

Most people find that 35mm and 120 versions of the same film require the same or similar development times, but some prefer to use slightly different times, due to differences in their cameras/lenses, and/or their agitation procedures.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same film in different size, yes. Otherwise, probably not. Go here: http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bottom line is - if you're happy with the results, then 'Yes, of course you can!'.

But there are differences between 35mm and 120. Film base is different, lenses are different, enlarging lens is sometimes different, etc etc etc.

Therefore, if you find that the results you need from either format are not similar enough, then 'Don't do that!'.

As always, it is a matter of what you need versus what you deliver. Personally, I develop 120 Tri-X together with 35mm Tri-X all the time, same with TMax 400 in the two formats. I get what I need that way. But as Matt says above, that may not be the case for everybody.

Mixing two different films on the other hand, I've done that with no ill effect, but I've heard some claims that it's not ideal, based on the compounds that different films release into the developer during the process. It's not clear to me how much of that has actual substance, and how much of it is hypothetical 'what ifs'.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i didnt mean that i was gonna mix the tmax with the edu, just that could the 2 formats of the same film be developed together. Guess I'll try it and see as there are no real special shots on any of the rolls.

thanks as always.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if the dev time is the same, the size and even brand name doesn't matter -- I've even mixed in Tri-x and something that had a dev time of 45 seconds or so more -- i figured worse case scenario the tri-x gets a 5 percent push, which is nothing, and realistically, times aren't as rock solid as they seem at times -- for example, if it takes 20 seconds to fill the tank, how to you allow for the 20-second overdevelopment of the roll at the bottom of the stack?

You don't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I assume you have the multi reel tank? In my Paterson System 4 tank I can only fit one 120 reel or two 35mm reels at one time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    if the dev time is the same, the size and even brand name doesn't matter
    A little more then Dev time matters.

As long as the Dev time, developer temperature, developer dilution, and agitation interval all match then the size or brand does not matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin