Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,744   Online: 991

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The undiluted developer will require more time than the diluted developer.
    no this is backwards. Diluted takes longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    no this is backwards. Diluted takes longer.
    Oops - polyglot has it right. Thanks!

I've added a correction to the original post.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate that Kodak used the colon. The plus, which Ilford uses, is unambiguous. The colon is not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This often gets me confused too, and it's really nutty that something so simple somehow got so fuzzy. In my mind, it should be "full strength", then 1+1, 1+2, etc for the dilutions. That makes more sense to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This often gets me confused too, and it's really nutty that something so simple somehow got so fuzzy. In my mind, it should be "full strength", then 1+1, 1+2, etc for the dilutions. That makes more sense to me.

Exactly!!! Just recently I looked at developing time and solution, I questioned it. Thanks for the clarification from everyone.

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I hate that Kodak used the colon. The plus, which Ilford uses, is unambiguous. The colon is not.
    I understand from a fomer thread that some chmists use the colon to mean something else. Kodak manuals almost always use 1:1 to mean One part stock solution to one part of water. Ilford instructions use 1+1 to mean the same thing.

I don't think I have seen the 1+0 notation on any packages but it would mean one part stock to zero parts water - In other words no dilution.

if you find the Kodak instuctions for D76 confusing, the Ilford instructions for ID-11 may be clearer, the two products are used the same. Ilfords version is mixed from Powder somewhat differently as it is packaged in more than one envelope. But the stock is generally equivalent to Kodak D76 stock.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak instructions for use and mixing are almost invariably in very clear words. They tend to be accompanied, however by tables that use the 1:1 notation.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I believe one of the main differences between using D-76 straight and using it diluted, is due to the silver solvent it and many other developers contain. When used diluted, the silver solvent is not as active relative to development time, thus negatives might be slightly grainer (more sharply defined grain), but also slightly sharper over-all.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I believe one of the main differences between using D-76 straight and using it diluted, is due to the silver solvent it and many other developers contain. When used diluted, the silver solvent is not as active relative to development time, thus negatives might be slightly grainer (more sharply defined grain), but also slightly sharper over-all.
    Yes, softening/smoothing is the primary thing you can control via dilution on D76.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin