Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,548   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Maybe an obvious question..1-0 1-1

OK.. developing instructions has developing strengths labeled like this.. 1-0 and 1-1.

I'm I understanding correctly..? 1-0 meaning half strength with more time, and 1-1 full strength with less time? I should mentions, that I've never had an issue but was curious and I tend to over process instructions.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1-0 means full streangth, ratio of developer to water. 1-1 means half strength, equal parts developer and water.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    OK.. developing instructions has developing strengths labeled like this.. 1-0 and 1-1.

I'm I understanding correctly..? 1-0 meaning half strength with more time, and 1-1 full strength with less time? I should mentions, that I've never had an issue but was curious and I tend to over process instructions.

ToddB
    I think you have it reversed, but I'm not sure I recognize those sorts of instructions.

The two types I see a lot are 1+1 or 1:1.

The former is clear, and refers to stock plus the same quantity of water.

The second can cause confusion - does it mean 1 part stock in 1 part working solution (i.e. just stock) or does it mean the same as 1+1 (working solution is 1 part stock plus 1 part water).

Another way of designating undiluted stock would be 1+0.

The undiluted developer will require more (correction: less) time than the diluted developer.
    Last edited by MattKing; 09-30-2013 at 06:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been doing it 1+1, never had a issue, but recently confused on the other ratio.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1-0 means full streangth, ratio of developer to water.

Ok.. I use D-76 powder and I obviously mix it water as per instructions.. So I'm correct by developing film 1+1 ratio?

Todd

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do you mean 1+0 and 1+1?

I'm accustomed to seeing developing strengths as ratios of stock solution - water.

So 1-1 , 1+1 or 1:1 would be one part developer, one part water (half strength).

1-0 would indicate 1 part developer, zero parts water (full strength).

A good clue would be to check the times given for the different concentrations of the same developer and film/EI

If you see 1-0 is 6 minutes and 1-1 is 9 minutes, it's a safe bet the 6 minute time is full-strength.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lots of answers in a short time, everybody's right...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ok.. I use D-76 powder and I obviously mix it water as per instructions.. So I'm correct by developing film 1+1 ratio?

Todd
    When you make up your developer, you pour the powder into water, do some stirring, and then top of the volume with more water.

That gives you a quantity of developer "stock", which you can use over time to develop a number of rolls of film.

With D-76, many people use that stock undiluted - I would describe that as using it "stock" or 1+0.

Others prefer to use a diluted version. So immediately before developing the film, they mix some developer stock with more water.

If they choose to use their D-76 one part stock plus one part water, they describe that as using 1+1.

If they choose to use their D-76 one part stock plus two parts water, they describe that as using 1+2.

If they choose to use their D-76 one part stock plus three parts water, they describe that as using 1+3.

etc.
    Last edited by MattKing; 09-30-2013 at 02:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Todd
    Yes. After you have the stock solution mixed according to the package... THEN you mix as much as you need at 1 to 1 (and dump that when done processing because it's only good for one-shot ... unless you want to add 15% developing time for the second run - practically nobody uses D-76 1:1 twice except in emergencies or by mistake).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.. I pour powder and top off with water making a gallon of stock. sounds like I was correct. Undiluted sounds interesting.. however I'll stick with I'm used to, thanks for the clarfication.

ToddB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin