Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,327   Online: 908

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Irregular white stripe on the side of negative

Hi,

After developing a negative Ilford HP5+ I got a white stripe on one side of the negative. The strip is irregular in shape and it's about 0.5-0.8cm width.
    Today I double checked tank, reels to be sure that all is clean. Also mixed fresh chemistry and processed another 120 roll of HP5+.... got the same stripe. It has happen to me 4 or 5 time during last 5 years...I have no idea what can cause the problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks you

PS. image attached (fragment of negative, half of the frame)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1test.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure you have enough fixer in the tank, and that the reel isn't riding up out of the chemistry?

Try re-fixing in the light, to make sure that it is fully covered.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It looks like you have insufficient developer in your tank to cover the film, therefore the edge isn't developing properly. You're probably doing the same with fixer, which means the edge of the film is milky and improperly fixed too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was thinking about it but I am always checking the level of chemistry. I am processing in Paterson tank where I can fit 1 roll of 120 film. I am processing on 0.5L chemistry. Also I am pouring a bit more fixer to ensure proper bath...
    will try to re-fix in anyway...Cheers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK...just tried to refix this negative. Nothing has changed but I tried also to check level of chemistry in the tank without the lid. With 0.5L reel is fully covered with chemistry. Level of chemistry is actually about 1cm over the reel but...I spotted that there is a possibility of small movements of the reel during processing up and down. In worst case scenario one side of the reel can be even 5mm over the level of chemistry. That would prove your idea guys Matt and Polyglot.
    The question is how it is possible. I am processing for over 6 years now. Very often 4-5 times a week...and as I mentioned it happened to me maybe 5 times during last 5 years (2 times in last few days)...ehhh
    Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film loading issue? Those odd, irregularly shaped dark areas w/ a gap of white between them mean something, but I'm not sure what. If it were a problem w/ the level of chemicals it probably wouldn't look that way, it would be smooth all the way from one end to the other. At least that's what it looks like when I've put too little chemicals in my tank in the past.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Used to happen to me quite a bit until I switched to metal tanks.

The Paterson tanks used to come with a small plastic clip to prevent the reel from lifting up on the black spindle.

Without this clip, the reel can work its way up to where you would need more developer to cover the film.

I'd recommend measuring the amount of liquid needed to completely fill the tank and just assume the reel is going to ride up.

Or switch to metal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Artur Sikora View Post
    Hi,

After developing a negative Ilford HP5+ I got a white stripe on one side of the negative. The strip is irregular in shape and it's about 0.5-0.8cm width.
    Today I double checked tank, reels to be sure that all is clean. Also mixed fresh chemistry and processed another 120 roll of HP5+.... got the same stripe. It has happen to me 4 or 5 time during last 5 years...I have no idea what can cause the problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks you

PS. image attached (fragment of negative, half of the frame)
    I could be completely wrong but I went down a different road after reading the replies. Since you're apparently being quite careful with the processing, and there IS image beneath the stripe(s) that appears to be close to the density of the rest of the image, I'm wondering whether it's running the length of the roll in the same place, consistently or inconsistently.

If it is, I'm also wondering if you have a light leak in a body back or magazine light trap. Are you loading the film into the camera in subdued or bright light? I'm thinking it looks a lot like light leak fogging.

In my experience, unfixed strips refixed usually obliterate the image beneath them leaving a clear uneven line of no image. Same with uneven or incorrect levels of developer. Just for the hell of it, I'd check for leaks in your camera and film mag if you're using one. That might turn up some problem causing this too.
    Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You should use 600 ml of developer, or find the plastic clip (or jerry-rig a clip or retainer) and make sure the reel is all the way at the bottom.

If I were still using the tank, for black and white processing, I had been thinking I would use the proper amount of stock to make up 500 ml of developer - and then add even more water to bring it to 600 ml, then I'd adjust my times to compensate for the slightly reduced activity of a bit more dilute developer. I would rather develop in a solution that was a little too weak and risk slightly thin negatives, than have only part of my negative be properly developed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not a light leak because that would show up brighter on the image. There is also a definite splashy aspect to the fault which screams "liquid issues". Not sure what the bright bits are; they could be the edge rails on the spiral, dribbling a little extra developer onto the film at that point; if I'm right then those white bars will have a close pitch at one end of the roll and a coarser pitch at the other end.

Also, overfilling the tank is really bad idea. You need a big quantity of air in the lid for agitation purposes. There must be enough air to completely rearrange all of the developer in the tank when you invert it; if you overfill the tank then you only have a little bubble and inversion doesn't cause any real agitation.

I never had mine ride up, but then I only used a Paterson for about 100 rolls before I moved onto a Jobo, and my spirals were pretty tight on the centre core. I'm guessing they include the locator-clip for a reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin