Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,081   Online: 871

Shooter
    35mm

RC paper construction

The "paper" refers to that it is paper in some meaning. Is it safe to write with ink or with pens and pencils on the wrong side of a rc paper, the white backside, so that the ink does not slowly enter the picture on the emulsion side and damage it? I have Forte rc papers, Hungarian I think and not so well known brand. This rc paper curls quite strongly, the only negative thing I´ve found about it in my work. Does not obey my orders when I say "stay flat!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RC stands for Resin Coated, which refers to the base material. That makes it plastic, basically.
    I do not write with ink on any print, so cannot comment on that specifically. My writing is done with pencil only. Pencil does not work well on the plastic base, though.
    Perhaps there is a different solution? I would imagine it matters what type of ink is used, whether it will even stick to the plastic base or not.

The emulsions are similar to those in fiber paper.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use thin water resistant marker, same one that is used for writing on CD's and DVD's, and no problems so far.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 8B pencil on the verso (backside) -- makes a dark mark with relatively little pressure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Markers that use an organic solvent (you can tell by the smell) may experience "bleed through" and should not be used.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A plain ol pencil is all that you should use to write on the back. Students of mine in the past had used sharpie to sign their names, and after a period of time they bleed through and discolor the print on rc paper. It gives it a murky yellowish, purplish stain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    I use 8B pencil on the verso (backside) -- makes a dark mark with relatively little pressure.
    I had to look that up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil_...classification

I will be getting one of those next time I go to Hobby Lobby.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin