Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,879   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford FB Paper?

OK.. This question piggy abacks on Ilford paper swatch. I actually emailed the company about swatch and haven't heard anything and from you guys , it sounds like swatches fell victim to money expensences? Anyway.. thier paper choice are vast. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great classic FB paper that has a slight eggshell finish that producesses beautiful blacks?

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear ToddB,

Sorry we didnt get back to you....not like us ( I have these things checked !)

We still make swatched containing all our products, they are a bit rare as they cost about $ 33.00 each to make and our distributors have to purchase them from us, most resellers have them clamped near the paper stocks.

please PM me your home address and I will see what I can do.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a great classic FB paper that has a slight eggshell finish that producesses beautiful blacks?

ToddB
    Ilford Multigrade Warmtone FB. Not exactly the eggshell finish that you might expect, but pretty close. Nice blacks, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    Ilford Multigrade Warmtone FB. Not exactly the eggshell finish that you might expect, but pretty close. Nice blacks, too.
    I'm with this one, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know it's in fashion to lament long gone papers, but MGWT is one of the finest papers ever produced.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, MGWT. I try other stuff, and keep coming back to it.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    I second this. Beautiful prints come out on this (but that's subjective). If you tone it with Ilford's selenium toner, the blacks comes out a richer dark purple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Multigrade warmtone FB with the semi-matte surface is probably the nearest to an eggshell finish.

There is also Multigrade Art 300 for something that is different from the rest.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have negatives that can print on grades 2 or 3 and don't require split filter printing , Ilford Galerie is outstanding. Perhaps not ordinary eggshell but that all depends on what hens you have.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the Ilford papers yield beautiful blacks, but compared to for example Forte or Agfa the shadows are a little veiled and not as clearly defined. I like the sort of mystery that adds to the prints, and all of the Ilford papers can be coaxed into very deep and rich blacks that give a real anchor to the content.

Some eggs are almost flat matte, and some are almost glossy... The Warmtone semimatte paper is nice if you don't mind a green/brown type of image color with most developers. This can be neutralized with gold toner, sepia toner, Moersch Carbon, or selenium toner. You will get other colors instead, but the green will be gone.
    The regular Ilford MGIV matte is a fair bit flatter in surface, but it is my favorite Ilford paper. When I print on it I always assume I'm going to tone it afterward. If I don't I rarely like the results. It isn't until I use either selenium toner on its own, or selenium in combination with Moersch Carbon or sepia/thiourea toner that I feel that this paper gives its best. What happens to the blacks when I do tone it is almost miraculous. It turns from slightly flat to rich and lucious, and with beautiful colors. The highlights really start to pop too. The matte paper is just beautiful when you hold it in your hand, the surface feels great to the touch, and it looks so nice to the eye. Understated perfection and very subtle beauty.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin