Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,200   Online: 964

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASA developer

Shooter
    Multi Format

ASA developer

I have some questions about the ASA (American Standards Association) developer used to determine and specify film speeds of black-and-white negative films from the 1940s to the 1960s.

-- what is the exact formula ? It's said to be close to the Adox Standard, but I never saw it ?
    -- did anybody tried it with modern films ?

Best regards.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Im not actually sure of the answer, but its likely D76. Kodak was king in that time, and D76 is generally their standard developer against which all others are compared in the texts I have read.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    Im not actually sure of the answer, but its likely D76. Kodak was king in that time, and D76 is generally their standard developer against which all others are compared in the texts I have read.
    It wasn't D76 that doesn't give the true ASA/ISO. It was a formula very close to Adox Borax MQ. I have the formula somewhere along with the one used for the DIN standard.

The ASA formula and Adox Boraax MQ work very well with modern emulsions, about 1/3 stop more speed than D76, excellent fine grain, better sharpness and because it's cleaner working excellent tonality.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-03-2013 at 04:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is Adox Borax developer still available? I only found these developers at Adox :
    http://www.adox.de/english/ADOLUX/AD...Developer.html
    Maybe under an other name?

I've seen some recipes but I don't want to mix my own from the basic chemicals.
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 10-03-2013 at 07:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It wasn't D76 that doesn't give the true ASA/ISO. It was a formula very close to Adox Borax MQ. I have the formula somewhere along with the one used for the DIN standard.

The ASA formula and Adox Boraax MQ work very well with modern emulsions, about 1/3 stop more speed than D76, excellent fine grain, better sharpness and because it's cleaner working excellent tonality.

Ian
    I have the formula at home somewhere but if memory serves the ASA developer was an MQ Carbonate formula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No the developer is no longer available. It was known as Fotokemia FR-2

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I have the formula at home somewhere but if memory serves the ASA developer was an MQ Carbonate formula.
    No it was a buffered borax formula. It's the DIN developer that contained carbonate.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops I confused the two. Thanks for the correction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no reason to believe that this developer would do any better with pictorial subjects than any conventional developer. It's was designed to measure film speed and was not intended as a general purpose developer. As far as the slight speed increase reported this can be easily obtained with a phenidone based developer.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-03-2013 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'd like to see some formulas if anyone wishes to post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin