Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,277   Online: 1017

Shooter
    Medium Format

FP4+ and Rodinal

Just shot this for the first time and I am really liking the results thus far. I have not yet had a chance to print them so I can't say anything definitively yet, but looking at a loupe on the light table, the results are very much to my liking. For some reason, I am getting the kind of contrast that I like in a negative (and that I *think* will print the easiest) using an EI of around 64 and 15 mins at 68F using Ilford's agitation regime (4 inversions at the top of each minute). Grain seems fairly minimal (I am shooting on a 501c/m - 80 *T on a tripod), but I don't mind much grain in the first place, and the grain that is there is actually very pleasing to my eye. Plus, I can't see these ever being blown up to anything beyond something like 12 in. square.

Anyways, thanks to you guys for all the great information you continue to provide to the new kids on the forums.

-Matt
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Matt,
    I would be interested in some more information regarding your specific settings, e.g. Rodinal dilution, developing tank, etc.
    I am currently "working" with a similar setting
    Hassi 500CM, 150mm T CF
    Gossen Profisix exposure meter
    Rodinal(Adonal) 1+50
    Jobo 2236 developing tank with 700 ml liquids, resulting in 14 ml developer concentrate
    Agitation: 5x in the first 30 seconds, once every 60 seconds thereafter

My first preliminary test results look a little bit different
    80 ASA
    18°C (64.4 F)
    10 mins

Looking forward reading from you.
    Kind regards from Cologne
    Ulrich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am using a steel tank that will accommodate a single 120 roll (Hewes). All my measurements assume 450mm of chemistry is a "full" tank (which gives me sufficient air in the tank for the chemistry to move around during agitation). In terms of Rodinal dilution, I have been using (roughly) 1:50 - basically, I just measure out 9mm of Rodinal, dump it into my mixing cup, and then fill the cup with water until I have 450mm, letting it cool in an ice bath until it is around 20c/68f.

I am using the spot-meter function of a Sekonic 758DR. In most instances, I will meter for the darkest area of shadow in which I want to retain meaningful detail/texture and then stop down two stops. To date, I have been metering using an EI of 100 and have been bracketing one stop over and under. The shots that have been given a stop more light typically look the best, but in some instances are almost "too" contrasty, which is why I think that instead of going to ISO 50, I am likely to try my next roll at an EI of 64. Again, I am very new to all this so I don't have a cogent explanation for that. Perhaps Rodinal loses speed? Perhaps it is simply my aesthetic that likes a contrastier negative? In any event, because I do not have a darkroom at home, I have to use a community darkroom and have not yet had the opportunity to print any of these negatives so, as I said in my original post, I am taking this all with a grain of salt for the moment...

Hope you are well,
    Matt
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin