Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,461   Online: 879

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would be willing to do that, but how much would it cost to overnight the samples to Michael via DHL or EMS Speedpost, or whoever is operating over there? If it's $100 or so, that would make more sense.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    This is starting to sound like a bunch of druggies trying to figure out how to get a shipment over the nogales line without being ripped off, arrested, or suckered into some bad low-grade ditch weed.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sending more samples would do no good. If people are afraid of a scam, they could always wonder if the second batch of sames were from this lot or some other one. Testing at the boat is as perfect as it's going to get. I am curious how the testing will be done. It sounds like a drug deal in one of those movies.....drop some Amidol in a vial of liquid, shake it and if it turns black everyone pulls out machine guns and starts blasting

Does anyone know how to test Amidol short of making a print?

BTW, I have absolutely NO misgivings about this. I have been following this endeavor since last spring and the chances of this being a rip off by Greg are zero as far as I'm concerned. Next to Michael and Greg, I'm one of the biggest buyers at 33lbs of the stuff. I have no fear about sending over $800 to Greg when he asks for it.

As for paying Michael's way to China, I am not in favor of it unless there is any question on Greg's part that he can properly test the Amidol. Having Michael there to second the test is kind of redundant if Greg knows the technique(s).

-Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, Mike. I wish everybody was as supportive as you. Most of the trouble I get are from people who haven't even signed up.

Right now, Michael is only thinking about going, though it would be nice to have a travel buddy! The test will consist of making a print. Right now I am planning on taking several pre-exposed prints. I will do a few tests at my local airport to see if the x-ray machines will fog the paper after exposure. If they don't then I won't have to set up a darkroom. I can mix enough chemicals to do the test in 5x7 trays inside a film tent. If the x-rays do have an effect, then I will have to figure a way to expose the paper on site.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the way to test it is in fact to make a print, and if the development time is about what it should be and it doesn't stain, then it's good.

One question aside from this purchase is whether the formula can be tweaked to compensate for "bad" amidol (i.e.--amidol that causes pink staining). If it could be, we'd have much more flexibility in terms of sources and that could bring the price down. It may just involve adjusting the pH of the solution. I'd be willing to make some tests if someone has some bad amidol laying around.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ask Michael Smith. He still has some of one batch that stained the prints pink. Oddly, it didn't stain Ilford Multigrade IV Warmtone. I didn't try any other papers. When I say it stained the print, I should say it stained the paper. The back was a solid sheet of pink. Washing it a few hours cleared it some, but not enough to keep it.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I would be willing to do that, but how much would it cost to overnight the samples to Michael via DHL or EMS Speedpost, or whoever is operating over there? If it's $100 or so, that would make more sense.
    I like that idea. Let's do that.

Shooter
    Multi Format

gregdavis character

Quote Originally Posted by gregdavis
    If this goes bad, I get screwed. It's as simple as that. Not only am I personally out of 55 lbs. of amidol, but I'll have most of the serious photographic community after me. That's not something I want. Do you think I could show my face (or give my name) at any of the workshops or tradeshows if I screw everyone? I'm in my late twenties, so I plan on being around awhile. I'd rather it be on good terms.

I don't know if he's following this thread any, but gcoates has known me personally for a few years. We were members at the same church and he is invited to my wedding. PM him if you want to know my character.

I can vouch for Greg's character. We did indeed attend the same church for several years. We hung out, we discussed photography. My wife and I were good friends with Greg and his now fiancee. Greg is a good artist and an honest man. You should consider yourselves lucky that he's willing to spend the time and effort necessary to get this done. (By the way, Greg did NOT ask me to write this.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know Greg from Adam but I will accept the references of others as to his sincerity and good character. I might also have some reservations except for the fact that Michael Smith has endorsed this endeavor by his comments, testing and own purchase. Michael would have quite a bit to lose not only financially but also his reputation as a straight shooter (imho).

Yes, one needs to be aware of opportunities that are to good to be true. But I believe that the price from the supplier is indicative of the cost of Chinese labor, much lower cost of production and the insatiable desire of the Chinese to open markets for everythng and anything in the west.

I would caution Greg however that it may require more then two days. I know several people who deal with businesses in mainland China, and even though they have great working relationships with the Chinese, they have told me business dealings can take a little extra time.

I would also be willing to throw in a few $ to help defray Greg's airfare. And Greg I hope you have computed all shipping charges and possible tarriffs into the price per lb. for everyone. I would hate for you to tell everyone a $ amount and then you get stuck with a buch of extra charges.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, Jim for your kind words. I have taken into account the customs fees. Customs from China is something like 7% of the value. There is a $5/$1000value bond as well. It is all included. I haven't added the individual containers and shipping, though. But that is in the 10's of dollars.
    The details of the sale have been completed with the manufacturer. They are simply waiting for me to place the order. What I have worked out with them is to simply test each barrel and give a thumbs up. It is a little more complex than that, but I just want to say that the negotiations are finished and in writing.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin