Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,102   Online: 795

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Book of Pyro

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am well aware of google thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone for the advice

Shooter
    35mm
    I was told/read that PMK must be agitated every 15 seconds. By experimenting, I now use it for semi-stand. I agitate for 30 seconds, then once at 15 minutes and dump at 30 minutes. It works perfectly (for my eyes) with Foma 200.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, Hutchings recommends frequent agitation verging on constant. Semi-stand seems to go against its prescribed advice that it must be used immediately. All I can say is that if left to sit in a tray (sheet) in the as brief as practical time it takes from mixing (one shot) through presoak (at least +2.5 minutes) to immersion, the solution begins to separate, no matter how well mixed. I agitate the developer even before I drop the sheets in, thence every 5 seconds to constant for consistent results.

To the OP, I think if pragmatism is your goal, you're better served to search out the many posts for empirical use of PMK. Even though I have a signed and dedicated book, which I'm not selling, I have found its approach to be fairly didactic and thesis like, its main use being introductory use of the developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Semi-stand, PMK Pyro, 30 minutes:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b...25209%2529.jpg

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wonderful!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    Semi-stand, PMK Pyro, 30 minutes:
    As an experiment I developed a roll of 35mm in 250mL of standard PMK in a tank without much air (air or at least oxygen is part of the chemistry of PMK which is one reason why results seem to vary) for i think my standard 12min, not much agitation. Good negs as usual. Then I used the same used developer immediately on another exposed waste roll and got nothing, not the faintest density, not edge numbers, absolutely nothing even viewed very carefully. I concluded that my 12min or so was close to development to exhaustion, at least for this quantity and a full roll.

I concluded that a larger quantity of developer would be required for longer development than around 12min.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think the tannin effect is the most important issue with this developer ... think rhubarb... you will find the clue.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PMK is still my favorite go-to developer for all kinds of film, and I've both tried and have formulated numerous pyro tweaks from both categories
    of "pyro". I don't recommend PMK for rotary drum dev, but for manual tanks and trays it's extremely reliable and predictable. I basically invert tanks or shuffle tray film once per 30 sec. I'm not suggesting that the other pyro formulas aren't excellent too. The Book of Pyro is worth it, even if you can easily get the same tech info elsewhere.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Forgot one thing ... PMK might not be your best choice for long stand dev either. Although the A&B concentrates seem to last forever, once
    mixed, you need to use the developer immediately, and it might not stay predictable for as long as half an hour. Fifteen minutes certainly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin