Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,254   Online: 748

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Book of Pyro

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Really you don't recommend rotary process for PMK.. I have only done PMK in my company for 18 years, I may owe a lot of people a lot of money for that screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    PMK is still my favorite go-to developer for all kinds of film, and I've both tried and have formulated numerous pyro tweaks from both categories
    of "pyro". I don't recommend PMK for rotary drum dev, but for manual tanks and trays it's extremely reliable and predictable. I basically invert tanks or shuffle tray film once per 30 sec. I'm not suggesting that the other pyro formulas aren't excellent too. The Book of Pyro is worth it, even if you can easily get the same tech info elsewhere.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    As an experiment I developed a roll of 35mm in 250mL of standard PMK in a tank without much air (air or at least oxygen is part of the chemistry of PMK which is one reason why results seem to vary) for i think my standard 12min, not much agitation. Good negs as usual. Then I used the same used developer immediately on another exposed waste roll and got nothing, not the faintest density, not edge numbers, absolutely nothing even viewed very carefully. I concluded that my 12min or so was close to development to exhaustion, at least for this quantity and a full roll.

I concluded that a larger quantity of developer would be required for longer development than around 12min.
    Don't reuse it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Forgot one thing ... PMK might not be your best choice for long stand dev either. Although the A&B concentrates seem to last forever, once
    mixed, you need to use the developer immediately, and it might not stay predictable for as long as half an hour. Fifteen minutes certainly.
    As someone who uses PMK Pyro all the time for 30 minutes, semi-stand, I recommend it. It works beautifully. Just don't try to reuse it. One use only.

Another example with Foma 200:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R...52019%2529.jpg

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I concur.. do not reuse the developer for a second run.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Didn't quite get that one, Bob... do you, or do you not use it rotary? I found that even at low RPM's, PMK had too much aerial oxidation for
    rotary and led to excess fog, or worse, potentially excess edge dev which thicker emulsions. You could print thru it generally, but it certainly
    isn't desirable. That's why Hutchings recommended argon gas for rotary, and why tweaks like Rollo-pyro came along. My drum processors are
    capable of running a lot slower and more gently than the Jobo, and I'd never go back to using them for PMK.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have run thousands upon thousands of runs of PMK on Rotary Jobo, actually in the middle of a series of runs right now and over this weekend.
    Have been doing this for over 18years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    It turns out that there are a lot of opinions in photography. Just like not everyone thinks staining developers are best, not all that do think that Pyrocat is best. Different strokes for different folks.
    Yeah, I used to be a real 'pyromaniac' until I read an interview with Brett Weston where he said he's stopped using ABC pyro in favor of a non-staining one (Ethol UFG, if I recall correctly). He said, "it really doesn't make much difference". The ultimate irony is that Sandy King makes only digital negatives now. At least that was what he was doing the last time I talked to him.
    Jim

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes but all Sandys current neg's are done as always, he also has been playing with an IR cheater camera.

I like PMK , but I also like ID11 and other developers, basically it boils down to what lighting ratio you are trying to capture , with an exposure developer plan .

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Yeah, I used to be a real 'pyromaniac' until I read an interview with Brett Weston where he said he's stopped using ABC pyro in favor of a non-staining one (Ethol UFG, if I recall correctly). He said, "it really doesn't make much difference". The ultimate irony is that Sandy King makes only digital negatives now. At least that was what he was doing the last time I talked to him.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, staining pyro formulas have made a gigantic difference for me in terms of printing ease and quality, in all formats. Saying you quit because of something Brett Weston said way back when might not have any relevance with today's films and papers. But at that point in time he mainly shot medium format using Agfapan, and deliberately underexposed and overdeveloped to give him those famous blacked out graphic shadows. So if you want to eat your cake and have it too, with reference to detail in both the deep shadows and upper highlights, that approach won't work so well. There are all kinds of pyro formulas, some based on pyrogallol and some on pyrocat. Once LFF is back up, one can look up the "pyro war" threads of past years, which got pretty brutal between different potential formula tweaks. I eventually threw a few punches myself. I don't know how Bob does it in a Jobo unless he uses an awful lot of solution volume to keep the air out in the first place. I personally keep about a dozen different film developers in the lab, mostly for specialized purposes, but like I said earlier, still prefer
    basic PMK for general usage.

The Book Of Pyro may be 21 years old, but there are still some gems in it.
    PMK didn't work for me because I mainly use BTZS tubes. I switched to Rollo pyro, which essentially is PMK, but for rotary. In the end I switched to Pyrocat-HD, because I prefered the look, and of it's ability to give extremely high aqutance in stand/semi-stand devleopment.
    Still love Xtol, and D-19. To each his own.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin