Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,826   Online: 964

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Book of Pyro

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    Don't reuse it!
    I didn't have any intention of trying to reuse it. My experiment came out of my experience that dev time didn't seem to make much difference, after I tried for a bit more contrast for a particular roll and didn't achieve it with longer processing. I concluded that I was already close to development to exhaustion in my normal processing described above.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Maybe it's just a matter of ethics. Gordon H. took all the trouble to revive interest in pyro, came up with the first popular, convenient modern tweak, and to my knowledge receives no royalties on sales of the chemistry, which he gave us the recipe for anyway. I can't image he got rich over this, with the occasional workshop or print sale. So he certainly deserves a little monetary reward from people buying the book. Besides, it's got some interesting anecdotal historical information and safety notices. And he's never been one to discourage experimenting with later
    formulas concocted by others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He didn't revive the interest in Pyro. Wimberley did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    He didn't revive the interest in Pyro. Wimberley did.
    They both did. Wimberley started it; Hutchings gave it a significant upward push. PMK is what got me to try pyrogallol.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Maybe it's just a matter of ethics. Gordon H. took all the trouble to revive interest in pyro, came up with the first popular, convenient modern tweak, and to my knowledge receives no royalties on sales of the chemistry, which he gave us the recipe for anyway. I can't image he got rich over this, with the occasional workshop or print sale. So he certainly deserves a little monetary reward from people buying the book. Besides, it's got some interesting anecdotal historical information and safety notices. And he's never been one to discourage experimenting with later
    formulas concocted by others.
    I remember that he used to sell the book direct by mail order. That's how I bought my copy.

I wonder if that's still the case.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    I didn't have any intention of trying to reuse it. My experiment came out of my experience that dev time didn't seem to make much difference, after I tried for a bit more contrast for a particular roll and didn't achieve it with longer processing. I concluded that I was already close to development to exhaustion in my normal processing described above.
    Sorry, I was confused. I thought you were attempting to use it again for a second roll.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin