Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,526   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    That's the first time I have heard of films like FP4 and HP5 being of vintage look.
    Really? I'd say you expressed that exact idea just a few posts ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    standard B&W films are closer to real film during the history of film photography.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Really? I'd say you expressed that exact idea just a few posts ago.
    True and I guess you are correct.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see no contradiction in Clive's statements. Following tradition isn't inherently old-fashioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think tmax400 is the best film in the world but it's probably not ideal for beginning classes. It's fussier to develop (more responsive to changes in development, easier to screw up), takes longer to fix, and longer to wash the pink out.

FP4+ is great for outdoor use and HP5+ is more practical. Let the individuals settle on a film once they've got the basics down using one of these two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Let the individuals settle on a film once they've got the basics down using one of these two.
    If I were teaching, I'd pick one film and one developer and use the same idea on the printing side, keeps everybody on the same page; keeps the magic bullet talk to a minimum because there is a level playing field. Its tough to credit or blame the materials for success or failure when everybody is using the same tools.

At the end of the class I might add a second film and make sure everybody got on that page at once too.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akitak9821 View Post
    I'm going to start teaching a photography club soon, but I was wondering, since I'm going to buy my film in bulk, what type of film to use??

When I started photography last year, I used Ilford FP4 125, the results were good as in perfect grayscale range.
    But When I started experimenting with the loads of film options out there, I saw that the Delta brands were good.

So should I buy Delta 100, Delta 400, or FP4 125?
    If you are intending to purchase Ilford product (a good choice), you should add HP5 to your list, and then check on prices and local availability.

Personally, I would lean toward FP4 or HP5 for beginner's use, because they are slightly more forgiving.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Back in the late '60s I had an acquaintance who attended Brooks Institute of Photography, then came home and showed me some 4x5 b/w negatives and prints he'd learned how to make. After a few questions I found he'd absorbed a "cookbook" procedure (do step 1, then step 2, etc.) but had not a clue what to do if his materials became unavailable or if his print preferences changed later on. Granted, his mental acuity may have hampered his learning, not to discredit the school. So it's likely best to start students with one film/developer and one paper/developer, then progress to other materials for those interested in doing so. I presume you have access to a darkroom, so the end-to-end process can be experienced.

I also have another acquaintance - a very creative person, offspring of a professional photographer, who wanted to learn from the start. She attended a photography school on the east coast and returned to discuss what she learned there. I made the mistake of trying to introduce her to the Zone System and found that her right brain would simply not function with plots/graphs. Her eyes glazed over and her mind went closed CLUNK. But she survived my attempts and went on do wonderful b/w work professionally. Creativity trumps technical stuff, but the foundation is essential.

So FWIW I'd suggest sticking with Ilford products, because they'll be around for some time, say HP5+ and Ilfotec HC 1+31 developer (similar to Kodak HC-110), together with MGIV paper/developer. To avoid the learning curve for variable contrast print materials, you could start with a graded paper such as Ilford Galerie.
    Last edited by silveror0; 10-06-2013 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin