Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1158

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both are recommended, at least by Kodak, but ammonium thio is twice as fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My post was poorly worded. What I should have written is Ammonium Thiosulfate is generally preferred.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Talbot's paper negatives and prints were not fixed but merely stabilized. Examples of his work in the British Museum can only be viewed briefly in very dim light to prevent them from fading.

Sorry folks you still need to use thiosulfate or a similarly strong complexing agent.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

If I may be granted a temporary indulgence to stray from the conventional, if there are no photochemicals available, film may be developed in Caffenol, fixed in salt and the image obtained on a mobile phone using the Lomography app for iphone or android, there are other similar apps.The image does not need to be archival on the film.Some countries with a different culture have mobile based banking systems.
    I have not actually done this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The anti-caking agent in the table salt may give some fixing action depending on what agent is used. Some table salts contains small amounts of potassium or sodium thiocyanate. This is an express fixer agent. The amount in 150g salt used alone may fix he film in 10-15 minutes, but the salt really hampers the action.
    So, no, salt doesn't work as a fixer. Get some ammonium thiosulfate and mix your own fixer. It can be bought on the net and shipped by mail. If you can't get it by mail, there is a great possibility that you cannot get film either. Problem solved. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone thought to test the film for residual silver? If not then the results are meaningless. An improperly fixed negative will eventually fade.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

My table salt has sodium hexacyanoferrate II as anti-caking agent. Still it's rather surprising if all those including Fox Talbot who used salt had cyano-derivatives in it.
    I did check,for example, ebay India, film can be purchased shipped from the US but not fixer, it may be related to shipping cost.
    I don't think Caffenol-table salt-mobile phone as a route into film photography would appeal to many on APUG but it is very low cost if you have the phone so just mention this route exists, a search reveals some recently tried caffenol-table salt.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Has anyone thought to test the film for residual silver? If not then the results are meaningless. An improperly fixed negative will eventually fade.
    You've hit on a key question here, Gerald, as to salt's efficacy as a fixer. I look forward to somebody's test results.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    My table salt has sodium hexacyanoferrate II as anti-caking agent. Still it's rather surprising if all those including Fox Talbot who used salt had cyano-derivatives in it.
    I did check,for example, ebay India, film can be purchased shipped from the US but not fixer, it may be related to shipping cost.
    I don't think Caffenol-table salt-mobile phone as a route into film photography would appeal to many on APUG but it is very low cost if you have the phone so just mention this route exists, a search reveals some recently tried caffenol-table salt.
    and current mobile phone cameras can create an image as good as some 35mm cameras ( 40mb files ) ...
    i couldn't agree more alan!
    john

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Guys, don’t confuse Talbot’s early work with the later development of the Calotype. As Gerald points out Talbot used salt solution to stabilise his photogenic drawings not fix them. These were made with silver nitrate solution and a weak salt solution. AgN03 + NaCl = AgCl. Talbot noticed that without any stabilisation or fixing the image would fade more quickly at the edges of his prints (where he had brushed on less salt). Therefore using his clever inverse logic he used a much stronger salt solution over the entire image. This stabilised it, but as Gerald mentions it would still fade and change colour with time.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin