Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,832   Online: 889

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John is not a BTZS user. Standard 1 degree spot meter/Zone System.

And I'll mention again he uses mostly Nikkor glass - just because Mustafa seemed to like his prints even though for the most part they aren't made with German lenses

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    'Quiet Light' - John Sexton.
    Thank you for the correction!!
    The books of John Sexton
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adams, Archer, Minor White, Phil Davis (and many others) offer a rational method to expose film, nothing else.
    It's not a method to take interesting photographs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    John Sexton is an expert at the Zone System having worked as Ansel's assistant for several years. I have never heard him mention BTZS.
    Sexton makes great art. I love his work.

I found the AA's zone system and a few books on the subject: Chris Johnson, Minor White (nice, small, and to the point) were much easier to digest than BTZS and I have a copy here. At the time I was most interested I did not (nor do I know) have access to a densitometer and it matters for this particular process. Nevertheless Phil was dedicated to this work and it makes an interesting read if that's your cup of tea. While nailing a perfect capture will always challenge in reality the choices become limited through personal experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just another voice to stress an important clarification, which has already been made in this thread: John Sexton does not use BTZS. He uses the Zone System, pretty much as described in AA's "The Negative."
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Rafal, That's an important note.

I'd like to point out that photographers, as a class of artists, have some teachers who ALSO are/were amazing artists of their own merit.

This can blur the line between craft and art because some of our technical references ALSO contain fine examples to look at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill, that's a wonderful thought, thank you. You make it clearer why learning from someone can be fulfilling because of their technical prowess, or their artistic achievement, ideally both of those. But occasionally one may meet a good teacher where those don't even come close to each other.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Polyglot, don't waste your time feeding the troll... This guy is hopeless.
    He's been here about 7 years, and is a subscriber. I'd hardly call him a troll. I do think he is way off base, concerning his preoccupation with everything Leica, though. I've always found his German vs. Japanese lens beliefs to be absurd. But, a troll, no.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hopeless romantic, maybe - but always a pleasure to see a new thread from Umut... Never know what he'll be thinking of next.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    He's been here about 7 years, and is a subscriber. I'd hardly call him a troll. I do think he is way off base, concerning his preoccupation with everything Leica, though. I've always found his German vs. Japanese lens beliefs to be absurd. But, a troll, no.
    Eddie nails it again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin