Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,507   Online: 844

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

J&C Sheet Film Developing Tube

Just finished processing my first batch of 8x10 film using the J&C developing tubes.

The loading of the tubes with film and solutions was a breeze. I had filled a 16x20 paper tray with water and rolled the tubes with a random back and forth action. Working with more than one tube was a little more challenging than I thought but after a while got the hang of it. I don not think I would be able to keep more than three tubes in motion at any one time.

The cap holds around 500 ml of solution. This is plenty for developing the film but a little too much solution so as to maintain balance while processing. The cap is heavier and can ride lower in the water, and I was afraid I would get uneven development. The next time through I reduced the solution to 420ml and the tube was better balanced.

I developed six sheets of FOP4 souped in ID11 1+1 for 7 minutes. Really nice negatives. Over the next couple of days I think I will try souping some film in Rodinal 1:100 but have the tube upright so will be more like stand development.

So all in all a great product at a really great price.

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mike,
    I'm so pleased you like these tubes! I find that all I really need is 250-300ml of chemistry for even development. I think you're using allot more than you really need to. Good Luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, I also did this two weekends ago and then this weekend. Using 5x7 negatives, one word of caution, when I tried two weekends ago, used Rodinal 1+100, filled the tube to the top (about 1300 ml) and sat the tube on end for stand development. Problem that I had was the film moved to the top of the cap, out of the soup or partially out and end up with a nice bubble pattern where the film slipped out of the developer. This weekend I used 1000 ml, left the tube on it's side and used the notched pattern on the side of the tube to keep up with where the film should be. Rolled it in a tray of water and left it on it's side. Worked great...though that is a lot of developer for one little 5x7 neg.

Please post your results, interested in hearing how it worked out for you.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How did you find the density of your negs Mike? and do you think there will be proper contrast control through developing?

I'm wondering if the necessity for constant aggitation prevents the necessary 'still' periods for N++ control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    man, I thought only guys named Mike were posting to this one....Thanks John...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Couple of suggestions. You can roll 4 tubes at the same time if you alternate the cap end and roll two with each hand.
    Also you know how they have a small hanging loop at the top of the cap? well I drilled holes 5 in apart on a piece of wood that I put in the sink. This way I can stand all the caps next to each other and load the tubes in the dark and screw them to the cap without fumbling. It is sort of a poor man's BTZS tray..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepry
    Mike,
    I'm so pleased you like these tubes! I find that all I really need is 250-300ml of chemistry for even development. I think you're using allot more than you really need to. Good Luck.
    Mike, thanks - I will go with the 300ml next time.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    How did you find the density of your negs Mike? and do you think there will be proper contrast control through developing?

I'm wondering if the necessity for constant aggitation prevents the necessary 'still' periods for N++ control.
    The denisty was good for contact printing, and based on my development uisng my Jobo for 4x5 film N- development works for me, so I guess with the right film and developer combination N+ should work.

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jorge,
    I have since used either a hot knife or power rotary sander to remove those things so they'll sit flat on a solid surface.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Couple of suggestions. You can roll 4 tubes at the same time if you alternate the cap end and roll two with each hand.
    Also you know how they have a small hanging loop at the top of the cap? well I drilled holes 5 in apart on a piece of wood that I put in the sink. This way I can stand all the caps next to each other and load the tubes in the dark and screw them to the cap without fumbling. It is sort of a poor man's BTZS tray..
    Jorge, I am really predominantly right handed and I really tried using both hands, I got really frustrated and sloshed water over my shirt and shoes. Maybe with practice I might be able to work with both hands at the same time but it sure don't work for me

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin