Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,652   Online: 740

Shooter
    Medium Format

Any Idea What Went Wrong Here?

I often have trouble developing 2 rolls of 35mm film in my Paterson System 4 tank. Even after buying new reels the results are still problematic. One roll turns out fine, the other seems to always have issues. All the frames look good to about 10 on the problem roll, which is roughly where I rewound the film and transferred it to another camera, then they get weird for about 6 frames, then go back to being fine. Yes, I thought about the problem being the fact that I switched the film into another camera mid roll, but I don't understand why the problem would have been isolated to about 6 frames. The negs have problems all the way out to the perforated edges, which is why I suspected development. Any ideas? I may have to repeat this w/o switching film mid roll.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test Strip.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	75268

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like a light leak to me. In the camera or somewhere after that: paterson tank, changing bag/darkroom. You could try checking for light leaks by cutting a piece of unexposed 400 ASA film in the dark and develop that to see if the leak is in the camera or somewhere on the way to the tank. Is it always the same roll (like the one top) that comes out problematic? Are you using bulk loaded film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it were a light leak in the tank the problem would not be on adjacent frames but more widely spaced. The leak occurred when the film was in the cassette. Probably by a failure in the light trap.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Gerald.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, it's a light leak. Thanks everyone. Here's one of the other frames from the roll. I just glanced at the rest of the frames earlier and none were near as bad as the one I posted above, but now that I look closely many look like this one. It's a new (to me) Canon AT-1 camera, and I'll have to either replace the seals or tape up the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small n8.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	386.7 KB 
ID:	75272

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus;1555098All the frames look good to about 10 on the problem roll, which is roughly where I rewound the film and transferred it to another camera, then they get weird for about 6 frames, then go back to being fine.[ATTACH=CONFIG
    75268[/ATTACH]
    Why on earth would you do this? It's just asking for trouble.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin