Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,634   Online: 992

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Ok...a couple of questions:

My Pyrocat MC turns lavender shortly after I mix it. Is this normal?

I'm getting mottled staining. I think this may be from the period of time the emulsion is exposed to air when I drain the developer and add the stop....and maybe due also to inadequate fixing. Thoughts?

I'm about to run another test with a change of process...taking the film from the developer straight to a stop tank with only a couple of seconds exposure to the air.
    Long long ago early in my Pyrocat HD days I was buying the premixed A & B from the Formulary. A fresh shipment came in and I noticed a similar lavender color rather than the more vailed a Sepia color upon mixing. The results lacked noticeable density , unusesble negs. The Formulary gladly replaced the two solutions. I had already ordered from Artcraft the necessary chemistry in bulk to make Pyrocat HD. I distinctly remember spending. $55.00 on that order. I am only on my second bulk order for Pyrocat chemistry after almost ten years. I cannot imagine another high performance developer so inexpensive. Kudos to Sandy King !!
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting, Steve. Out of the maybe six or seven kits I got from the Formulary, I never had one that mixed with a close to clear sepia color.

I thought that was normal! Could the fact that bought glycol mixed kits have anything to do with it?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Very interesting, Steve. Out of the maybe six or seven kits I got from the Formulary, I never had one that mixed with a close to clear sepia color.

I thought that was normal! Could the fact that bought glycol mixed kits have anything to do with it?
    The Glycol shouldn't make any difference, I made some Part A up at double the normal strength in Glycol (to cut the weight when flying) and it makes up and behaves just the same.

Aside from my first batch and the wrong bottles I've found Pyrocat (without Glycol) keeps well, long past suggested storage times others have given in the past.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film I developed looked fine this morning when I hung it to dry. I won't really know anything till I see it on the light table this evening. The previous film looked fine when wet too.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Hi, With the bulk Chems I buy, bearing in mind I dissolve the Phenidone in a touch of alcohol as it does not do well going into solution with water. Wouldn't imagine that would change color. Sepia color I am tlaking about happens when the clear A solution is added to the clear B solution the color quickly shifts to a fain sepia color. That actually is a positive indicator that the two chems are in fact preforming properly.

This is Pyrocat HD BTW, cheers, SS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Hi, With the bulk Chems I buy, bearing in mind I dissolve the Phenidone in a touch of alcohol as it does not do well going into solution with water. Wouldn't imagine that would change color. Sepia color I am tlaking about happens when the clear A solution is added to the clear B solution the color quickly shifts to a fain sepia color. That actually is a positive indicator that the two chems are in fact preforming properly.

This is Pyrocat HD BTW, cheers, SS
    I add the A to the water...then the B to the water. Am I doing it wrong?

Today's film looks fine. I didn't control for the two variables so I don't know if the solution to the problem was the reduced exposure to air before the stop or if it was the increased fixing time. I'll have to find out eventually.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I add the A to the water...then the B to the water. Am I doing it wrong?

Today's film looks fine. I didn't control for the two variables so I don't know if the solution to the problem was the reduced exposure to air before the stop or if it was the increased fixing time. I'll have to find out eventually.
    Your doing it correctly. My A solution goes in and then I add some Distilled Water, then the proper B and the remaining Distilled Water to bring to correct volume. The instant the B hits the solution the color shifts to a faint sepia color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    My A solution goes in and then I add some Distilled Water, then the proper B and the remaining Distilled Water to bring to correct volume. The instant the B hits the solution the color shifts to a faint sepia color.
    I used Pyrocat HD for all my sheet film from 2004 to 2009 and off and on since then. I've mixed my own except for one Glycol based batch I bought from PF. I've never had a problem with the developer and found that it indeed changes from clear to a light sepia when mixing the working solution just as Steve describes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I must have been unlucky with my purchases from the Formulary, then.

If I find a reason to do so in the future, I might revisit using Pyrocat, but likely mixing it myself instead.

Thanks to all who have shared in this thread.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just an FYI, I've been using the stuff B+S makes for 6-7 years now without a single issue. Last a friggen long time too.
    K.S. Klain

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin