Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,936   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HP5+, Pyrocat, Extreme Minimal Agitation

Curious if any one is doing this with HP5+ (Pyrocat [MC or HD], Extreme Minimal Agitation) and if so, what dilutions as times are you using.

Thanks.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Why would someone want to use what I see as a semi-stand development with rapid exhaustion developer?

What is the goal?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the reason I want to do that with HP5+ is to make negatives as good with a faster film, as the ones I'm making that way with FP4+ already.

Initially, the goal was to get the edge effects and accutance of a staining developer in EMA with a product with a long shelf life that I could buy in liquid form and measure out in small quantities, on a per-use basis. I tried Pyrocat MC in glycol with FP4+ and I like the results.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would use the same dilution as with FP4+, 1:1:200. Start with 45 minutes as a developing time and see if you like your results. If your negs are too dense, drop back to 30 minutes and test from there.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Are the results with such a developer that much different than simply using the standard agitation? If I understand correctly, the developer already is the type to enhance edge effects.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TFC, I'm using 1.5:1:200 at 60min for TF4+ with an SBR of 6, per Sandy King's input. I'm thinking of trying that. with a upward time adjustment of 1.125:1, since I'm seeing that with most developers, that's about what HP5+ requires compared to FP4+.

I was hoping to get some input from others using that film, developer and agitation method.

Robert, I'm after the micro-contrast that occurs with the localized exhaustion of the developer in contact with the high-density areas of exposure. It's a feature, not a bug.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Curious if any one is doing this with HP5+ (Pyrocat [MC or HD], Extreme Minimal Agitation) and if so, what dilutions as times are you using.

Thanks.

Not exactly what you are doing but similar... http://www.flickr.com/photos/regular...in/photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/regular...n/photostream/

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Those are really something, Rod. I don't see exposure information on those. Any idea how long those exposures were?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck with your project. I used Pyrocat-MC for a couple of years, at the same time as a friend of mine was doing Pyrocat-HD. Different films, Tri-X, FP4+, TMY-2, Neopan 400. We were both very happy with it, and both arrived at agitation every three minutes.
    Then, at almost the same time, we both encountered problems with uneven development. He ended up with TMax and I went with Xtol and Edwal 12. He has recently revisited Pyrocat, but with rotary development. A little bit less acutance, but nice negatives that seem to print very well.

For me, I never went back, because I didn't find that much of an improvement in acutance or sharpness, not enough to matter. The replenished Xtol is mighty sharp, and doesn't suffer from the weird highlight tonality that I get from extreme minimal agitation. But you may shoot subject matter that's a little different and it is more noticeable.

I think you can probably have some good luck with it. All I'm saying is that if you get unevenly developed negatives, don't be surprised. It may never happen to you, but I think it's fair to let you know there is a distinct possibility of it.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 10-08-2013 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    TFC, I'm using 1.5:1:200 at 60min for TF4+ with an SBR of 6, per Sandy King's input. I'm thinking of trying that. with a upward time adjustment of 1.125:1, since I'm seeing that with most developers, that's about what HP5+ requires compared to FP4+.

I was hoping to get some input from others using that film, developer and agitation method.

Robert, I'm after the micro-contrast that occurs with the localized exhaustion of the developer in contact with the high-density areas of exposure. It's a feature, not a bug.
    That seems like an awfully long time. How do the negatives print? Minimal agitation doesn't like overdevelopment. I use 1.5:1:175 for around 40 minutes at 70°F with a normal negative. I agitate vigorously and continuously for the 1st minute and then for 10 seconds halfway through development. They can look pretty thin and still print beautifully because there's so much stain.
    Jim

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin