Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,751   Online: 804

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Monobath

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Monobath

http://www.hofmeester.nl/Groups/Ront...1-5087911.aspx

See above link. I sometimes try new stuff. I played with teh monobath for a while that D. Qualls made up. Now I have some x-ray film i play around with and i stumbled upon this Kodak Monobath. Sorry for the link being dutch but I figured that the picture is cleu enough
    But I have a hard time finding more information about this stuff. Can anybody help me out? I might try it out anyway as it ist not that expensive I think but any info is very welcome.

Thanks.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's for dental x-ray film and it is a true monobath, how well it would work with conventional films I don't know. I did a lot of work on Monobaths in the late 1970's for work and had very good results but they need fine tuning to suit the material used to get the best results.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ian thanks for your prompt reply. Since I have 18x24 cm x-ray film it might be worth a try. I will try it on normal film as well. And maybe I##l try it out on paper since x-ray film can be developped in paper developper as wel. You never know.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian hits on the most important problem with monobaths. They must be configured for a specific film and hence lack flexibility. Haist makes the same point in his book The Monobath Manual. Anyone interested in monobaths should get this book which contains a lot of useful and interesting chemistry.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Russians did a lot of work on Monobaths there was a long technical article in a 1970's BJP Annual which compared work on monobaths around the world inc Haist's work.

Ilford used to sell a monobath for film processing - Monophen.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I could never understand is why someone would have ever chosen to use a monobath unless the situation demanded it (spy developing film in a hotel room or something like that). No matter how optimized the formula is, a monobath is always a compromise, never ideal.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can someone please explain to me what makes a developer a "monobath"?
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Development and fixation occur in the same solution. So there is essentially one processing step (with a wash after).

It is quite complex, but to (over)generalize, basically a high pH developing solution which also contains the fixing agent (silver halide solvent). The high pH is required so that development takes place very fast, before the thiosulfate dissolves the undeveloped silver halides.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 10-09-2013 at 01:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Can someone please explain to me what makes a developer a "monobath"?
    It's a developer with fixer incorporated it develops faster than it fixes so you get normal negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    What I could never understand is why someone would have ever chosen to use a monobath unless the situation demanded it (spy developing film in a hotel room or something like that). No matter how optimized the formula is, a monobath is always a compromise, never ideal.
    If a monobath is optimised it can give results no different to a normal dev then fix sequence.

The advantage is they aren't temperature dependent (over a reasonable range) and you process to finality. So there's no need for a thermometer or timer/clock.

The big disadvantage is they really do need fine tuning for a specific film or paper and this is why they mainly get used for applied applications, such as this dental monobath. I worked on them for an industrial application and it was suggested we make one available commercially for paper processing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must have been editing while you were responding. I first realized the typo, then figured I'd add the paragraph but forgot to edit the reason for the edit!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin