Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,025   Online: 813

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stand development is what you want. That is what rai described. A low concentration of most developers with little to no agitation will let you mix different films of different ISOs. I think you can use Diafine for normal development with multiple films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Divided developers often allow this too. I do it pretty routinely with Diafine. Most films are fine with 3 minutes in each bath. A few need longer, but those that only need 3 show no change with additional time so just develop for the longest time required by any of the films. Works fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mixing films in a dilute stand developer is not a good idea. emulsions differ you're running high risks of uneven development.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If is better for you to use something like Diafine, or similar divided developer, if you have different films with different developing times.

The very best solution is to just develop them separately.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I shoot large format, and use something based on the zone system which means that I am often developing several sheets of film treating each one differently. For a while, what I was doing was keeping the time and temperature constant, and using BTZS tubes, and adjusting the amount of development (contrast) that I wanted by altering the concentration of the developer that I used for each sheet. I was using HC-110 for this. It worked, but I ended up deciding that the BTZS tubes were more trouble than they were worth and moved on to a more traditional methodology.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rai View Post
    I'm planning to develop two or three different isos in the same tank with the same developer to and with the same time. Would it be possible?

Compensating developers let you do this quite well. The first time I tried it was with DiXactol http://www.monochromephotography.com...148_83767.html but since then have used both 510-PYRO, (ascorbic acid 5g, pyrogallol 10g, phenidone .25g, Triethanolamine 100ml)

and OBSIDIAN AQUA http://hypercatacutancedeveloper.blo...dian-aqua.html with good results on 25 ISO and 125 ISO at the same time.

RR

Shooter
    35mm
    Can anyone say whether there is a limited range of ISOs that can be adequately covered with two bath developers such as DiXactol such that 50-400 might be OK but 50 or 100 to 3200 might not?

Thanks

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Different developers show different balancing features between different emulsions.
    Within the late Agfa range Rodinal and Refinal were located at the two extremes concerning that characteristic.
    For automated roller processing of b&w films Refinal had been used to develop most different films in the some run.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i mix films all the time, different asa's different brands, different everything.
    as long as you know your film, know your developer and ... know your results you will be fine.

my personal developers are ansco 130 AND sumatranol - c. i know what results they give, and i know
    what i expect ( stand development, semi stand, "normal" agitation )
    as long as you know what your developer might do you should be OK, otherwise don't use anything " important " and do a " test "
    no sense taking people's / strangers' personal experiences, they don't have a clue as to how YOU develop YOUR film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Acufine for just this purpose. It doesn't matter how many reels of film or what the ISO was. They all develop at the same time. Very interesting and fun developer. I prefer D76 for tonality, but Acufine is very sharp and looks great, just different.

No avatar, no links, no online photos, no witty sayings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin