Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,329   Online: 1228

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Avoiding damage to Polaroid Type 55

I was trying Type 55 yesterday and was wondering if there is a way that you long time users of the stuff work with it to avoid damage to the negative. Attached is a link to a scan of one of my negatives, note the bubbles in the middle. While I kind of like the effect for this image, I would like to try to avoid it in the future. Thanks for your help.

http://homepage.mac.com/fingel/PhotoAlbum6.html
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not sure what causes that, but with Polaroid, I find it particularly important that the film be fresh, and also be sure to store it flat otherwise the chemicals might not be distributed evenly.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I shoot 55, I always use my fingers to squish the chems around in the pack - especially along the edges just as I pull the pack from the holder to be sure no bubbles or dry spots mess it up. - works for me.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i had a few issues but started pulling the film through the holder extremely slow. Since doing very slow pulls it's been pretty good for me..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=fingel]I was trying Type 55 (snip) note the bubbles in the middle. While I kind of like the effect for this image, I would like to try to avoid it in the future. Thanks for your help.

Hi Scott,

Because of the size of the spots (I had to download the image, open in PS and enlarge to actually see them).

I suspect dust (collecting overe a period of time within the camera bellows) that is "disturbed" to an airborne condition when you open and close the bellows, is attracted by "static" to the negative after you pull the envelope.
    I might suggest you remove both the back and the lensboard, gently stretch the bellows out as far as possible and either gently vacuum or "damp cloth" the inside surface of the bellows.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it was dust, I use the camera quite a bit and don't have a problem with dust on other negitives. When I peeled the positive from the negative the goo in the middle was sticking and bubbling to everything, part of the emulsion ripped off (upper righthand corner). It was a little cool out there (55°F). Could that have effected the process? I have shot Type 54 in similar conditions and never had any problems with the cooler weather, but with the type 55 should I have brought it back in the house and let it warm up before processing? Thanks for your help.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    May have occurred during washing too. Cold weather leaves an under-developed look to the whole negative. P55 can be shot at any temp but must be developed above 55degrees.

I ran an experiment in the field last month. I shot for the print, but then left the negative portion in the envelope and let it dry for a week. Parts of the envelope were stuck to the emulsion so I then let it soak for an hour before washing in plain water. These were some of the most problem free negatives of P55 I have had.
    and I think I gained speed. But have not duplicated this again to see if true.

I imagine that the fixer and developer chemicals exhaust themselves after a few hours so the negative develops fully, without exposure to light there is no deterioration.

NOTE: do not use the sodium sulfite in the wash. one negative totally lost its emulsion when I used it. It may have been due to warm water as well.

Still experimenting here.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by esearing

1) May have occurred during washing too. Cold weather leaves an under-developed look to the whole negative. P55 can be shot at any temp but must be developed above 55degrees.

2) I ran an experiment in the field last month. I shot for the print, but then left the negative portion in the envelope and let it dry for a week. Parts of the envelope were stuck to the emulsion so I then let it soak for an hour before washing in plain water. These were some of the most problem free negatives of P55 I have had. ....snipped.....
    Hello,

re :

1) I wonder about "extremes" of temperature? The reason that I ask, is that during December, while on vacation in Northern Ontario, I took some pictures of a property that we will be building a house on. I had very little experience with 55pn, and all of it indoors, but no troubles with it.
    I took a couple of 55pn shots for checking the picture and then followed up immediately with FP4+ for the "good" negative.
    I took the 55pn home (in-laws), waited several hours for it to warm to room temperature (21'C) and developed them thru' the holder as directed. The prints were horrible, streaky etc, and the negatives also had wavy lines of uneven exposure thru them.
    The FP4+ negatives were great!
    The temperature while exposing was about -30'C one day and -35'C the next. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this sort of temperature while using 55pn

2) This is GOOD to know. I don't always have a place to wash my 55pn and if it will "save" for later, then it makes my life easier - Thank you.

regards

Shooter
    Multi Format

55P/N

[QUOTE=John Bartley]Hello,

re:
    The temperature while exposing was about -30'C one day and -35'C the next. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this sort of temperature while using 55pn

I have used quite a number of cases over the years.. a few at temperatures WELL below freezing. After a few disappointments where the thawed developer provided less than adequate results, I took to removing the pack, identifying it as exposed/undeveloped and going back to the darkroom where the negative was "stripped out" then tray developed in HC110-B.... ABC pyro worked beutifully too!

Ken

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin