Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,215   Posts: 1,659,487   Online: 848

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Mr Rusty,

I need to learn what contact prints are. I have seen this mentioned but I need to go and read a FAQ section or something for beginners. The scanning would not be for printing purposes and that is why I want an enlarger. I'll need to pick a suitable enlarger first and I don't know much about this.

What do I need an easel for? What is the biggest scan I can do with a certain enlarger? I have a ton of questions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Neal,

I'm in a University club. They have darkroom equipment but no darkroom!

Yes this Uni has 26,000 students and it doesn't have a darkroom (for us anyway!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Pentaxuser,

I am a pentax too! I have 2 Super ME's, 1 x s1a and one of those modern digital things... K30!

I'll try that with the fixer to see if it works. Do you mean an 'exposed to light' small piece of film leader?

I can use the barclay paper for experiments anyway. I am a novice although I seen the original price of it and the paper was the most expensive part of the original darkroom kit (no enlarger!)

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I was reading a lot from the links in your sig the other day and there are many, many dead links. A lot.
    By dead do you mean 404, or sections that say "TBD" ? There's a lot in there that I've not got around to writing yet. Consider this a call for submissions - if anyone wants edit rights to the FAQ to add new content, please just ask me!

If you're getting 500 errors, try shift-reloading. My web host has been having bad trouble lately.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    nocturnal: a contact print is where you press the film and paper in a sandwich using a sheet of glass and expose it that way. The print is the same size as the negative - real hard to see for 35mm, but actually quite pretty on larger formats. A good practise to get into is to make a "contact sheet" of every roll of film you shoot. You cut the film up so that it fits into an 8x10 sheet of paper and contact-print the whole lot in one go. It will tell you a lot about how good your exposures are, etc.

An easel is a thing that holds your paper down in the enlarger; they have a couple of metal blades on the edge that hold the paper down and are adjustable so that you can make different sized prints. If you want to scan your prints, then print to 8x10" or maybe 8x12" as that's about the largest size that a cheap scanner can accept.

If the uni club has equipment but no darkroom in which to use it, you should definitely make them an offer for some of it. They may be very glad to reclaim some storage space and/or see it go to someone who will use it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    nocturnal: a contact print is where you press the film and paper in a sandwich using a sheet of glass and expose it that way. The print is the same size as the negative - real hard to see for 35mm, but actually quite pretty on larger formats. A good practise to get into is to make a "contact sheet" of every roll of film you shoot. You cut the film up so that it fits into an 8x10 sheet of paper and contact-print the whole lot in one go. It will tell you a lot about how good your exposures are, etc.

An easel is a thing that holds your paper down in the enlarger; they have a couple of metal blades on the edge that hold the paper down and are adjustable so that you can make different sized prints. If you want to scan your prints, then print to 8x10" or maybe 8x12" as that's about the largest size that a cheap scanner can accept.

If the uni club has equipment but no darkroom in which to use it, you should definitely make them an offer for some of it. They may be very glad to reclaim some storage space and/or see it go to someone who will use it.
    So I need an easel to attach/sit on the enlarger base plate?

I'll have a look on youtube for contact print tutorials.

Someone donated a lot of equipment to the Uni club including studio lights etc. They are still trying to get a darkroom set-up although I don't think they are too serious about it.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Enlargers often come with easels, but basically yes, you need one. If you're feeling ultra-cheap then you can use a sheet of steel resting on the enlarger baseboard and some strip magnets to hold the paper down to it. A proper easel is much easier and more repeatable though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you, I shall get an easel too. Ultra-cheap? Me?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The fastest way to learn the basics is to get one film, one film developer, one paper and one paper developer rather than trying 4 different films. Although made by the same company, each will be very different in response to light and processing.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm

Received the enlarger

Received the enlarger and I may have been sold junk!

The red protective swivel filter was broken off (I may be able to glue it). He included a thermometer which was smashed too as was another one from the first batch of darkroom purchases.

The 'Paterson System 1000' timer doesn't appear to time anything and it only switches on the enlarger.

The 'Paterson PCS enlarger' does switch on although it appears very dim (There is a flourescent bulb in it).

The enlarger came with a Rodenstock Trinar 50mm 1:3.5 lens, although it is dirty inside (fogged under the front element). It doesn't look like it comes apart so I can clean it like I have done with camera lenses.

The enlarger has a filter tray but I have no filters (I don't even know what these are for! Paper grades?)

The seller did 'throw in' (bloody literally judging by the smashes) some measuring cylinders, collapsible containers and some used STOP (is yellow but says it is OK until it turns purple) and FIXER ( this is clear and smells vinegary so should be OK despite 2008 expiry)

I also have a Paterson Micro Focus finder, I have no idea how to use it.

One other thing, can I use Ilfosol 3 developer as paper developer? I bought a new one of these.

Great fun!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin