Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,536   Online: 853

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal View Post
    Brilliant polyglot, you are a star!

My proposed tempoary darkroom is under the stairs and is pure white! I'll do a rolling stones and paint it pure matt black. I'll also have to install electricity unless I run a socket from the installed lightswitch (illegal but I'm only running an enlarger of it and a safelight. The proposed darkroom is super small so it'll be a challenge! I'd like to use heater trays etc. which require proper current I will install a proper spur from the mains although I simply don't have any room (I can fit 2 bicycles and hang coats but that is it!)

I'll maybe try the dirty Rodenstock lens (I'm near sure you can't open it unless you have a link for this?) as It'll be good practice anyway! The 'beamed' negative looks OK but I'm sure it will show on paper!!!!

Brilliant explanation of the micro focus finder, that makes sense and I should have worked it out myself LOL

I can't set my Pentax cameras (2x ME Super's) to leave a film leader but don't worry I already have a leader retriever!

I'm really glad you can load straight from the cannister and I'll do chamfers etc.

As for the advice about wetting agent, would a couple of droplets per 500ml of water be sufficient?

Thanks again for your expertise!
    Don't paint your darkroom black! Most likely it will be fine.

I work in a darkroom with a mirrored wall, and it is fine.

If you note a particularly bright spot on a ceiling or wall, just tape some dark paper there.

When you rewind your films in your ME Supers, you will be able to feel and hear the film coming off the take up spool. Just stop there, open the back, and tear off the leader.

As for the wetting agent ...

Do you have a small measuring cylinder - say up to 45 ml?

If so, just measure the total volume of, for example, 30 or 50 drops.

Then calculate what the total volume of working solution you would end up with if you dilute that volume according to the Ilford instructions (1 + 200).

Then divide that total volume by the number of drops you used, to get the volume of working solution you will get from each drop.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Don't paint your darkroom black! Most likely it will be fine.

I work in a darkroom with a mirrored wall, and it is fine.

If you note a particularly bright spot on a ceiling or wall, just tape some dark paper there.

When you rewind your films in your ME Supers, you will be able to feel and hear the film coming off the take up spool. Just stop there, open the back, and tear off the leader.

As for the wetting agent ...

Do you have a small measuring cylinder - say up to 45 ml?

If so, just measure the total volume of, for example, 30 or 50 drops.

Then calculate what the total volume of working solution you would end up with if you dilute that volume according to the Ilford instructions (1 + 200).

Then divide that total volume by the number of drops you used, to get the volume of working solution you will get from each drop.
    Well I live in a hard water area and need to use stainless steel wool in kettles so after I wash film in hand wash basin using a print syphon I squeeze a long squirt of dish wash liquid detergent into basin and foam the water with the dev spiral shake the spiral over bath to remove water hang it up over bath squeegee it and leave it for six hours any other procedure leaves drying marks.

YMMV

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My proposed tempoary darkroom is under the stairs and is pure white! I'll do a rolling stones and paint it pure matt black. I'll also have to install electricity unless I run a socket from the installed lightswitch (illegal but I'm only running an enlarger of it and a safelight. The proposed darkroom is super small so it'll be a challenge! I'd like to use heater trays etc. which require proper current I will install a proper spur from the mains although I simply don't have any room (I can fit 2 bicycles and hang coats but that is it!)
    I would suggest painting is a bad idea and that some cloth drapes would be cheaper and more-easily reversible.

And for power, just run an extension lead from another room and put a powerboard in the darkroom. Much safer and more legal than hooking into the wrong circuit!

As for the advice about wetting agent, would a couple of droplets per 500ml of water be sufficient?
    It depends on the quality of your water, so you will need to experiment a little with that. If it foams, that's way too much. Definitely you need to remove ALL sediment etc from your final-rinse water, there's nothing photoflo can do to prevent drying marks when there's crud in the water. Squeegeeing will get rid of everything but you risk scratches so it's a controversial matter as to which technique is best/safest/etc.

Hanging your film diagonally while drying helps greatly because the water only needs to get to the edge of the film, not run all the way down it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "There is no way on earth I would even own a smart phone and hate all the apps nonsense with a fiery passion."

You know, a simple 'thanks but no thanks' would have been just fine. I don't see why it was necessary to make me feel like a fool, but thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Eh, it's APUG. Self-righteous trolls and luddites abound.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Eh, it's APUG. Self-righteous trolls and luddites abound.
    which one are you?You are here aren't you
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    which one are you?You are here aren't you
    Can I not be both!?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    "There is no way on earth I would even own a smart phone and hate all the apps nonsense with a fiery passion."

You know, a simple 'thanks but no thanks' would have been just fine. I don't see why it was necessary to make me feel like a fool, but thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    best not to react but back OT
    in c bag you need can opener and care attack crimp on end of cassette remote from protruding plastic swiss army knife is ideal. You don't need stitches in hand dont ask
    the film image is emulsion side in and under the leader it comes out on the spool little hazard to it while on spool
    Not rewinding completely hazards getting 72 shots per cassette don't ask

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Not rewinding completely hazards getting 72 shots per cassette don't ask
    Rip a couple cm of leader off when you unload the camera so that it can't be reloaded and/or is obviously exposed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Rip a couple cm of leader off when you unload the camera so that it can't be reloaded and/or is obviously exposed.
    well my chum street shooting with bottom loader had body & base plate to hand and managed to swap the two cassettes. J was watching and did not notice.

If you reuse the cassettes a film extractor is desirable otherwise can opener

YMMV

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin