Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,664   Online: 812

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    it can't scan film but surely I could scan it
    Doesn't work unless scanner is designed for negs. (runs away quickly before mods catch me talking about scanning)

Shooter
    35mm

FAO pentaxuser

Hello 'fellow' pentaxuser,

The instructions mention nothing of X-Ray.

The fellow who sold me this 'kit' bought it from a shop basically as a beginner's kit:

The fixer is and I quote verbatim:

1 Litre dilution 1 + 3 makes 4 litres

Barclay Black and White Universal Fixer 1 Litre

For all Black and White films and papers

Fixes films in 20-40 seconds

Fixes paper in 30 seconds

Treats 80 prints (8 x 10) per litre of working strength solution

Sangers LTD Birmingham U.K

.................................................. .

I'll not bother fixing it again and I'll put it all down to experience.

Another thing is I am so allergic to this stuff. I just lifted the bottle and my skin is itching all over as I was last night!!!!!!

Thanks for the scanner info and I'll not waste any more time!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the answers. I did know that Barclay produced paper and now it seems fixer as well. However it never was a paper producer so someone else made its paper and so it seems to be true of its chemicals as well, namely Sangers of Birmingham.

So to those of you with long experience of darkroom work, anyone else used Barclay's fixer( probably U.K. and rest of Europe rather than the U.S.) who can help?

OP, unless the negs are suitable only for the bin I would re-fix as others have advised and there might be no problem with Barclay fixer that a longer fixing wouldn't take care of.

As it is Sangers of Birmingham I think we may need the extensive knowledge of a West Midlander called Ian Grant to get to answers as to its origins etc a

OP, the itching might be peculiar to this make of fixer, in which case not a large problem or it might be that you are allergic to the chemicals in fixers in general in which case a much bigger problem. However
    if you avoid its contact with your skin which is do-able then you should be OK

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    No, there are many good photos there, I had a good idea when I took them.

A Halloween party with many people there and good comedy times.

Right I'm away to leave this in again for 3 minutes!

If I am even close to it I start itching, even looking at it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Reverse!

The film was getting wrecked winding back onto the reel again (wet reels?). More damage getting done so I'm cuting them up and storing them away in darkness.

Next time i'll allow more time although can you not damage the film by over fixing?

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=nocturnal;1571110]Reverse!

The film was getting wrecked winding back onto the reel again (wet reels?). More damage getting done so I'm cuting them up and storing them away in darkness.QUOTE]

Are you referring to refixing? If so there are two choices. Let the film completely dry and dry the reels as well and then rewind or simply drop the film alone into a bath of fresh fixer for say 2-3 mins and swill the fixer around as you would with wetting agent.

If the film isn't properly fixed then I don't think that storing away in darkness is going to help. Yes you can over fix but it takes a long time to do so or at least much longer than a further 2-3 mins of fresh fixing

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You did dilute the fixer didn't you?

1 part concentrate from the bottle plus 3 parts water?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I cut the film up and put it in an acetate A4 sheet. I did crease one of the photos trying to get it back on the reel.

Maybe the film is properly fixed? I did follow the instructions on the bottle and went to the max. Why would the manufacturer state otherwise?

It certainly is fixed to a great extent as the film was hanging in the daylight and the images are still there (for now anyway)

Yes 1 to 3 mix Matt

I'm thinking that if I am to enjoy this I am going to need a dedicated area so I'll need a bigger house. Trying to empty the small cupboard, set up the enlarger, calibrate it all, no sink, no electricity then working in super cramped conditions, annoying family, then put all the cupboard contents back in again...

I think I'll buy a scanner for now and do all this when and if it ever becomes possible! I'd love it if I had the space to do so, meanwhile I'll keep on using film, developing and storing away for future enlargement.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Buy a changing bag for film processing.

Enlarging only needs heavy drapes and night outside. You can put exposed paper in double envelop and carry to bathroom. Not many people ever had dedicated darkroom in films day.

If you feel skin irration wear kitchen gloves with chemicals wet or dry, don't use gloves in kitchen afterwards.

Do not process in kitchen, bathrooms only. Read the hazard labels.

Google metol allergy I use phenodine developers instead most Ilford developers are phenodine

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin