Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,435   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Why is Fuji Acros 100 4x5 so expensive?

Based upon B&H prices, a 120 roll of Acros costs 105% of what a roll of FP4+ costs. A sheet of Acros costs 214% of what a sheet of FP4+ costs. Why? Is it expensive because it's sold in low volume or is is sold in low volume because it's expensive? Why is the 120 roll so much more competitively priced?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 120 acros 100 has always been underpriced. (not that we'd complain)

It's probably low volume compared to most B&W LF films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because it's worth it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Because it's worth it?
    No doubt. I've never used it but as I have been doing my homework, in prep for doing some pinhole photography, it's a slam dunk due to the reciprocity characteristics, how people rave about it...and the results I've seen. I was just curious why there's such a price difference in the sheet goods, compared to the roll film.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    freight is 2-3 times further?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    No doubt. I've never used it but as I have been doing my homework, in prep for doing some pinhole photography, it's a slam dunk due to the reciprocity characteristics, how people rave about it...and the results I've seen. I was just curious why there's such a price difference in the sheet goods, compared to the roll film.
    Truth is, I'm developing (uh, pun wasn't intended but now that I think about it...) an admiration for it in 120 but haven't shot it in 4x5 and may never. Not that I wouldn't like it. But I shoot mainly TMY-2 and a little Foma 400/200 (meaning I have some Arista 400 and got 200 when they didn't have 400) for an older look. I don't see complicating my life by adding another film, especially a medium speed one, but who knows, I might, if I win the lottery. I don't need to win the lottery to afford Acros. I need to win the lottery so I can quit my job so I have time to shoot and print as much as I would like!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    freight is 2-3 times further?
    I'm pretty sure New York is the same distance away for both formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Truth is, I'm developing (uh, pun wasn't intended but now that I think about it...) an admiration for it in 120 but haven't shot it in 4x5 and may never. Not that I wouldn't like it. But I shoot mainly TMY-2 and a little Foma 400/200 (meaning I have some Arista 400 and got 200 when they didn't have 400) for an older look. I don't see complicating my life by adding another film, especially a medium speed one, but who knows, I might, if I win the lottery. I don't need to win the lottery to afford Acros. I need to win the lottery so I can quit my job so I have time to shoot and print as much as I would like!
    I don't get this attitude. Would it really be that awful to spend $5 and shoot a roll of Acros? Do you really have no curiosity at all?

Of course it's no crime to not shoot this film. But reading the above just seems exceptionally strange.

EDIT: I got it backwards, as I see you shoot Acros in roll film. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by RattyMouse; 10-12-2013 at 05:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer night shooting, and I remember buying a 120 Acros roll just out of curiosity, since I usually shoot on Ilford Delta's and Kodak TMax's, mostly. Definitely impressed with everything I've done on it — the latitude is quite forgiving too. Now I shoot Acros maybe 5% of the time, when the shot just requires a couple of minutes or so.

Try other films, like Arista for economy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I'm pretty sure New York is the same distance away for both formats.
    you never know .. wormhole ?
    im empty, good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin