Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,277   Online: 1118

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well here's where my thoughts have been, love TriX and shoot it in MF. \
    Haven't shot HP5 for a couple of years, but when I did, I was just starting learning how to develop, so been thinking that maybe I really didn't give it a chance. So I ordered two rolls of HP5 in 120 MF, and got them today.
    Concept.. Ive done this before... to test a smaller samples of large format film, without going through the expense of the larger image. It takes a more than a few shots to find out the parameters of your developing. At least for me.

Now, this is where I may leave most of you,,, ;-) sliced up the first roll into 10 individual strips. Yep they curl.
    Placed one in my 6x6 120 back for the Speed Graphic.. will shoot these individually, and test develop.
    Will see how these do,, ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Foma aka Arista 200. It's closer to box speed than the 400 so the speed difference isn't as great as it seems, more like a half stop than a full stop. Disclaimer - I shot a couple of boxes of the 400 and liked it at 200 but only a few sheets so far of 200 which looks ok at somewhere between 125 and 160 - either will work and it's almost impossible to tell a 1/3 stop difference in black and white without a densitometer.

I still shoot the 400 in 120 as it is still made in rolls just not in sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    interestingly, both freestyle and adorama have limited asa 400 film in 4 by 5. Wonder if someone went on a buying spree, or is everyone cutting back?

prices sure went up too. Glad i stocked up a coupla months ago.
    Last edited by summicron1; 10-14-2013 at 11:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No Foma cancelled Foma 400 in sheets though they still make it rolls and there is some remaining stock around.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    No Foma cancelled Foma 400 in sheets though they still make it rolls and there is some remaining stock around.
    Do you have a link to the relevant press-release please? It still seems to be listed as a stock item on the manufacturers website, but it would not be the first time that a manufacturers website has not been updated with negative* news.

* Yes, it's a pun.

Edit:
    There seems to be a mix of information on the website. The stock PDF lists the film in sheets while the verbal sub-page for Fomapan 400 doesn't mention it. However, different parts of the Foma website and between different languages, also give different information about several of their materials. It would be handy to have a definitive source for the information. As an alternative, I'd suggest using the Fomapan 200, as there is less than a stop difference in effective speed.
    Last edited by MartinP; 10-15-2013 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest using the Fomapan 200, as there is less than a stop difference in effective speed.
    Yes this is true, but I understand that most shoot it at ISO of 100.. and often for the shots I want to shoot requires a tripod.
    Shooting the 400 at ISO of 200, still allowed the freedom of being free.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I just ordered 5 boxes of 50 sheets foma 400 4x5 from macodirect in Germany.

Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P3110 met Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Stefan, went to their website, and they ship internationally.
    So made inquiry on cost ect, and if in fact Foma has stop manufacturing 400 in sheet film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it was from Freestyle that I read of the cancellation. Once I'm back at the computer with that email archive on it I can check. I remember being bothered by it (slightly.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's too bad. Foma 400 in sheets was great! If I shot more sheet film I'd probably move to HP5+. TMax 400 in sheets is way too expensive for my budget.

By the way, me knowingly, those are the only two ISO 400 films left in sheet film size.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin