Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,216   Online: 780

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

HP5+, what ISO should I set it at for this ?

Hi,
    Recently I shoot a roll of HP5+ at 320 but processed it at 400, I also shot bracketing with EV+1 and normal. I noticed I like the shots at EV+1. I'm not sure how to determine then what ISO too shoot it at to shoot it at EV+ when I've set the ISO to 320 and the processed it at 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    160 on the dial
    Process for the same amount of time.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Like wildbill says. No need to adjust development.

I do have question though. Are the prints really different/better or is it the look of the negative?

The reason I ask is that I can typically get darn near exactly the same print from HP5, Delta 400, Tmax 400, or TriX 400 negs that were shot anywhere between 800 and 50.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    160 on the dial
    Process for the same amount of time.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Like wildbill says. No need to adjust development.

I do have question though. Are the prints really different/better or is it the look of the negative?

The reason I ask is that I can typically get darn near exactly the same print from HP5, Delta 400, Tmax 400, or TriX 400 negs that were shot anywhere between 800 and 50.
    I'm not sure yet, I haven't printed them. Right now I'm just scanning them as we speak, but I've noticed the shots at now 160 look much better than those at 320.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    I'm not sure yet, I haven't printed them. Right now I'm just scanning them as we speak, but I've noticed the shots at now 160 look much better than those at 320.
    Whatever works, but that difference may simply be a scanner or scanning software thing, not an issue with the negative.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Whatever works, but that difference may simply be a scanner or scanning software thing, not an issue with the negative.
    I thought the same thing, but I've scanned HP5+ shot at ISO 400 and the shots always seemed underexposed or were boring and didn't really work for me. For the actual first time, I actually like the shots I took. (I'm still learning).

But then again, I could come up with a cop out excuse its because of the lenses I'm using for this shoot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be that your meter/metering technique/shutter/aperture/lens/thermometer/developer/developer dilution/agitation technique are cumulatively sufficiently different from the conditions used to determine the ISO speed of the film as to require you to meter at a different Exposure Index ("EI").

If using your meter at an EI of 320 and increasing the exposure by one stop worked for you, it would be worthwhile just using an EI of 160 instead.

WRT the shots you metered at EI 400 and were unhappy with, was they lacking in shadow detail, or were they low in contrast and highlight "sparkle"? If the former, your problem was with under-exposure. If the latter, your problem may be with under-development.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Hi,
    Recently I shoot a roll of HP5+ at 320 but processed it at 400, I also shot bracketing with EV+1 and normal. I noticed I like the shots at EV+1. I'm not sure how to determine then what ISO too shoot it at to shoot it at EV+ when I've set the ISO to 320 and the processed it at 400.

How are you calculating exposure? Do you spot meter on the shadow textures you want to place on Zone III? If you do then the box speed of 400 ISO and development for the same 400 ISO can work quite well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/regular_rod/8631193635/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/regular_rod/8641972128/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/regular_rod/8693464998/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/regular_rod/8695307025/

These might help you decide.

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Out of curiosity, what developer and dilution did you use? Out of the mainstream developers, I can't think of one that would give particularly dull results with HP5+, unless you are using it in a way not intended. As Matt mentioned, there are plenty of other things apart from speed rating that could be wrong, and it is well worth the effort to figure out exactly what it is that is not working for you as it should.

There is in principle nothing wrong with settling on an EI of 160 for your workflow, assuming that you scan only. I would rather understand how and why I deviate from the norm, though. That gives one far greater control and enables good decisions in difficult circumstances. While it may give the best results for your current scanning setup, there is something to be said for getting the best negative, and optimising your equipment and techniques around that. In future, that would enable a better scan from the same negative, or alternatively a better darkroom print. While Mark is correct in saying that keeping development constant, one may be able to get remarkably similar looking prints from EI 50 through 800, I must point out that you will definitely see deterioration in the shadows or highlights, depending on at which end you are. Whether that matters for a particular print is entirely dependent on how important those zones in the particular image are, and how well you can print a difficult negative. HP5+ captures easily more than 10 stops of dynamic range, but to get the extremes onto paper in a way that looks natural is not always that easy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin