Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,110   Online: 1141

Shooter
    Medium Format

Selenium Toner batch life?

Hey guys, typically how long does a mixed batch of Selinium toner last before you have to toss it?

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awfully long, if mixed with water (rather than with HCA). I've used 2-year old ones, whilst replenishing them in the past. Nowadays I don't do that, as I don't like having to filter the precipitate, so I replace when it is exhausted. If you search for posts by Doremus Scudder you should find his technique for replenishing it indefinitely.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In terms of absolute time, selenium toner lasts virtually indefinitely. However, in terms of the number, sizes and kinds of prints you run through it, you will find its effectiveness can wane rather dramatically, taking impractically long to your desired state of toning. Impurities can produce a scum which may adhere to the surface of prints in toner left to stand for long periods, and precipitated silver in well used toner can muck up the bottoms of trays.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.. the floaties.. I didn't want to take any chances on that sticking to my prints. I tossed it. Thanks for insight

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You just filter it every so often. Then it lasts years, even decades.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You just filter it every so often. Then it lasts years, even decades.
    Wouldn't the Thiosulfate oxidize eventually, at least in the working solution?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin