Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,544   Online: 1002

Thread: Agfa

Agfa

There is a chap selling some Portriga Rapid on e-bay and includes in his description that Agfa is going to discontinue B&W products in Sept

Is this just another rumour?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just when I heard that Ilford was going to be bought by Agfa photo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    There is a chap selling some Portriga Rapid on e-bay and includes in his description that Agfa is going to discontinue B&W products in Sept

Mark
    Seriously now, I found that my local supplier had a fresh stock of Rodinal, Viradon, papers, films, etc. So I really doubt that
    Last edited by titrisol; 01-31-2005 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne

Mark
    IMO, yes. Ilford will be raising prices but not doubling them, for example.

He's an alarmist and a profiteer. And I don't think *25+* year-old Portriga is likely to perform well either. You've been warned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strictly speaking, Agfa HAS discontinued all analog products in sept 2004. However, a new company has emerged called Agfaphoto by management buy-out, who is now producing and distributing all analog products. All products, at least at my dealers, are normally available.

Here endeth the rumour.
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of weeks ago I went into Adorama to buy a box of Oriental Seagull to find about 6 or 8 boxes of various sizes of mixed paper types. The 'Stock Boy' could offer no explanation other than he didn't think they would be stocking Seagull anymore.

I turned around to find floor to ceiling shelves of Agfa and Ilford papers, of all descriptions.

I haven't been back recently and don't know what you will find there now.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i saw that ad as well, the felllow is out of his mind wanting 125 for that box of paper and felt he was using scare methods to enhance the possiblity of selling this paper.

My dealer has all kinds of Ilford new stock. another contact has indicated that their is an increase in ilford cost, but hasn't confirmed what that is.

Another dealer in town has started stocking Rodinal and other agfa products.

B&H had an annoucement under the Ilford Galerie slot that they expect stock in Feb.

Freestyle is taken over distribution of Kentemere,

So, take this with a grain of salt and the knowledge that he is a looking to fleece someone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    125 for a box of protriga rapid?
    Is he giving a warranty that the paper is good???
    Most Portriga Rapid by now should be foggy and/or dead
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm RF

Old or new Portriga Rapid

Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    125 for a box of protriga rapid?
    Is he giving a warranty that the paper is good???
    Most Portriga Rapid by now should be foggy and/or dead
    It depends, in 1998-2000 there was a second short run of Portriga Rapid, but glossy only. That paper should still be fine. It is not the same emulsion as the old stuff Apart from that some old Portriga Rapid is still fine in my darkroom.
    125? No problem, I could sell you original boxes almost empty at a special price, say ... or even better... a rip-off special. I will invest the money in new MCC 118 and so should you.

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The box the seller shows on e-Bay doesn't match the boxes Agfa used for Portriga in the late 90s. This is clearly the old stuff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin