Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,546   Online: 1108

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    By 'see-saw' you mean holding it by either end and rocking it back and fore in and out of the tray yeah?
    Yes, it's easier than it sounds. A 10x8 dish is large enough.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    the see-saw method was once the standard for film that used a red safe-light. Once Pancro became the norm, folks switched to tanks. If you are sure it is 116 or 616, most of the old FR tanks will take it.

they turn up cheep enough like this sample listing (Not mine and I don't know the seller) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300901981528 (note the mention of 116 on the box.)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    All this talk about tray developing film takes me back.... I got started in photography as a teenager about 60 years ago using the see-saw method of tray developing Verichrome (back in its ortho days) with a red safelight and MQ developer. (Remember the old Kodak Tri-Chem packs?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    All this talk about tray developing film takes me back.... I got started in photography as a teenager about 60 years ago using the see-saw method of tray developing Verichrome (back in its ortho days) with a red safelight and MQ developer. (Remember the old Kodak Tri-Chem packs?)
    According to Mees & Sheppard "Verichrome" needed the same filter a Panchromatic emulsions a Wratten Series III because it was "Red sensitive" You must have been using a much later version

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    The orthochromatic (non-red sensitive) version of Verichrome was available from 1931 to 1956. The panchromatic version (Verichrome Pan) came out in 1956.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    The orthochromatic (non-red sensitive) version of Verichrome was available from 1931 to 1956. The panchromatic version (Verichrome Pan) came out in 1956.
    You're only out by nearly 50 years

Verichrome was introduced in 1907 or 8 as a result of research into Panchromatic emulsions by Mees & Sheppard.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    There were many films that went by the name 'Verichrome' over the years. The two versions I mentioned were the ones I used in the '50s. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ographic_films for more information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too started by the 'See-Saw' method in 1951 when I joined the School Photo-Soc and teh Chemistry Master showed us how to make up our own developers from the base chemicals -- I had my Mum's 1930's Kodak Brownie 'Hawkeye' Box camera and I cycled over 5 miles to a wonderful 'Emporium' in London where all manner of ex WWII gear was sold by an Old Gent who would take down packets and bottles and blow the dust off !! There I bought some ex RAF 120 film for 6 pence a roll -- I darkened out our bathroom with an old blanket and put some RED Paper round the bulb as I was told the film was 'Orthochromatic' and could be developed under 'RED' light -- I mixed up a couple of spoonfuls of home-made developer, stop bath was my Mum's Vinegar, and Hypo Crystals made the fixer and 'see-sawed' the film through - well, the Grey and foggy images I produced I thought were the 'Bees-Knees' !! REAL PHOTOGRAPHY !!
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Robbins View Post
    Here's some good info on old Ilford products that might be interesting if not useful:
    http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...hronology.html

!

There is a reference in the text of the link to Ilford Hyfin Developer. It was sold as a one shot high accutance developer similar to Agfa Rodinal. The developer came as a powder in two wallets each enough for 500cc of working solution so out of one pack you could process 4 films. I used it around 1963/4 and If anything I found it to be better, much better than Rodinal but the developing time of 18 mins for Pan F and FP3 were 18 mins @ 68F. Just a bit too long for me at the time.

3 or 4 years ago I wrote to Ilford to ask if they would release the formula so I could make up my own and they refused point blank. No explanation given. I would dearly love to try it once more

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    3 or 4 years ago I wrote to Ilford to ask if they would release the formula so I could make up my own and they refused point blank. No explanation given.
    What did Ilford actually say? I presume that it wasn't a one word answer which was "NO"

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin