Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,641   Online: 1147

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ilford Hyfin Developer

Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    There is a reference in the text of the link to Ilford Hyfin Developer. It was sold as a one shot high accutance developer similar to Agfa Rodinal. The developer came as a powder in two wallets each enough for 500cc of working solution so out of one pack you could process 4 films. I used it around 1963/4 and If anything I found it to be better, much better than Rodinal but the developing time of 18 mins for Pan F and FP3 were 18 mins @ 68F. Just a bit too long for me at the time.

3 or 4 years ago I wrote to Ilford to ask if they would release the formula so I could make up my own and they refused point blank. No explanation given. I would dearly love to try it once more
    Maybe this helps?

Hyfin was Ilford's high definition developer. In my ancient formula notebook (created by copying down formula's given to me by much older photographers when I was a wee lad in a camera club) I have a formula given to me by the Vice President who did/had worked at Ilford:
    - Metol 0.5g
    - Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 5g
    - Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 5g
    - Water to 1 litre.
    Development times 15-25 minutes. Requires a minimum of 600ml of chemistry per 35mm or 120 film. This formula is very similar to Crawley's FX1 developer with the omission of the Potassium iodide.
    Source: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=6548.
    I have no idea of the validity of this formula or any way of checking it, though.

See also this old thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...-develper.html
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    There is a reference in the text of the link to Ilford Hyfin Developer. It was sold as a one shot high accutance developer similar to Agfa Rodinal. The developer came as a powder in two wallets each enough for 500cc of working solution so out of one pack you could process 4 films. I used it around 1963/4 and If anything I found it to be better, much better than Rodinal but the developing time of 18 mins for Pan F and FP3 were 18 mins @ 68F. Just a bit too long for me at the time.

3 or 4 years ago I wrote to Ilford to ask if they would release the formula so I could make up my own and they refused point blank. No explanation given. I would dearly love to try it once more
    Hyfin was quite different to Rodinal much grainer and greater edge effects. Ilford's equivalent of Rodinal was Certinal.

There seems to have been deliberate mis-information given out by ex-Ilford emplyees in Essex and none of the formulae are what's claimed, they are all published formulae for different products.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Regardless of brand I always develope old B&W film or unidentifiable B&W film in HC110 Dil B for 1 hour. Give the initail agitation of 30 seconds once you pour in the developer then again at 30 minutes..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just processed it then... total disaster. Can see that there is something on the film, but its undiscernable. Can make out the faint outline of a car and a few blotches for faces. Not sure whether it was down to my eneven processing technique. It's very blotchy and there are what appear to be drag marks on it. Oh well

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Just processed it then... total disaster. Can see that there is something on the film, but its undiscernable. Can make out the faint outline of a car and a few blotches for faces. Not sure whether it was down to my eneven processing technique. It's very blotchy and there are what appear to be drag marks on it. Oh well
    Could you scan and post some negs?
    Just to see what is has become?
    Even an outcome we didn't expect or want may teach us some good things.
    And maybe we can deduce together on APUG what the causes are for this outcome?
    Bert
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    What developer did you use? Did you pre-soak?

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right, Jarvman. You got these guys riled up. You can't stop now.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used D-76 full strength for 12 minutes using the sea saw method in the tray. Which was an utter nightmare in the dark. Wish I'd bought a tank that accomodates 116 film and tried a clip test first. No I never pre-soaked. I'll scan the 'results' at some point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    What developer did you use? Did you pre-soak?

RR
    Would pre-soaking have made a big difference?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since I started pre-soaking, even with ILFORD films for which it is not recommended, I have not had any streaking, or uneven development and no air bell scars either...

RR

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin