Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,471   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The original CHS100 worked great with Barry Thornton's 2 bath formula-lovely old school tonality!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Robbins View Post
    Reciprocity characteristics look excellent. I haven't done any testing but I reckon this could be the next best thing to Acros. Maybe a half stop at 1 to a few seconds and a stop at ten seconds. Don't take my word for it, though, as I (stupidly) wasn't taking notes.
    That's not too bad, but no better than FP4 for example. And TMY2 is far better for reciprocity.

I'm gonna have to get a couple boxes of sheets once Freestyle gets it in, and compare it with my last box of CHS100.

Edit: nice photos in the review...
    Last edited by polyglot; 10-17-2013 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just did a quick check and, while FP4 doesn't appear to be quite as good as the new Adox film, Tmax is certainly better when it comes to reciprocity. Thanks for pointing that out.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just did a quick check and, while FP4 doesn't appear to be quite as good as the new Adox film, Tmax is certainly better when it comes to reciprocity. Thanks for pointing that out.
    FP4 and HP5 are far better than their published curves, which seem to be out of date and/or relate to an older version of the emulsion. Not sure why the Ilford tables are so conservative compared to their films.

Still not as good as TMY2 though, which isn't as good as Acros or Provia. However, TMY2 is always faster than Acros for any exposure shorter than "overnight".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the looks of the paper, might have to buy some.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I like the looks of the paper, might have to buy some.

Jeff
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is that the Tetenal Baryta Vario you're referring to, Jeff? If so, I quite like it and it's much cheaper than the rest of the FB papers here in the UK if you get it from Sharif Photographic.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    FP4 and HP5 are far better than their published curves, which seem to be out of date and/or relate to an older version of the emulsion. Not sure why the Ilford tables are so conservative compared to their films.

Still not as good as TMY2 though, which isn't as good as Acros or Provia. However, TMY2 is always faster than Acros for any exposure shorter than "overnight".
    Can you explain your thought process in saying TMY-2 is faster? Acros has a 2 minute failure, TMY-2 has a (forgive my poor memory) 1 or 2 SECOND failure with a ... Is it 1/2 stop after that?

Even at 2 stops faster ASA, 2 minutes of no failure beats 1-2 seconds of failure...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've shot my first roll of the new stuff and written up my impressions, along with some sample pics. Bottom line? It's lovely stuff. I'm hoping to do a comparison test with Silvermax in the near future. Please check it out here:

http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/201...hs-100-ii.html
    Bruce, thank you for your nice take on reviewing this new film from Adox, and congratulations for some very fine articles in your blog. It was a nice discovery for me.
    My take here is just to complement your review with my own data for the sheet film version, in this case 4x5. This is densitometry (or sensitometry) data for my specific developing procedure (PyrocatHD 1.5:1:260), but it might be useful for someone else, specially because I include a short reciprocity test.
    So, in one of the figures you will see how the gradient changes for different durations of my developing: 12 min, 24 min, 36 min and 48 min. In another figure how the gradient changes for the same exposure but using different exposure times: 0.3 s, 2.4 s and 9.6 s, and developing time: 36 min. As you can see at least until 9.6 s there is no significant reciprocity failure - the gradient is essentially the same. I wanted to make further tests with longer exposures but have been under heavy workload...maybe next week.
    I don't like to compare density curves from different films but for a reference I can say that for the same developing conditions (36 min) the gradient of Adox CHS100II is lower than that of Fomapan 100, but not by a lot (0.58 vs. 0.64). This means that Adox is slightly less contrasty than Fomapan.
    Included is also a photograph I have taken with this sheet film and developed for 36 min. While there is some sky in the photo it really is very small and dark since I used an orange filter and thus cannot comment on its spectral response. Arguably it is one its greates strengths so I am curious to try portraits and open landscapes. This is a scanned negative, as I haven't had the time to print it, but I have not processed it digitally.
    I must say I enjoy this film a lot. Kudos to Adox!
    raul
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AdoxCHS100_PyroHDSS_raul.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	75767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AdoxCHS100_Reci_raul.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	75768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chamonix_Espichel_012.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	75769

Shooter
    35mm
    Thinking that this film may be one of my first choice to 4x5!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin