Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,654   Online: 933

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Thinking that this film may be one of my first choice to 4x5!
    Yea I want to try some in 4x5 too

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Can you explain your thought process in saying TMY-2 is faster? Acros has a 2 minute failure, TMY-2 has a (forgive my poor memory) 1 or 2 SECOND failure with a ... Is it 1/2 stop after that?

Even at 2 stops faster ASA, 2 minutes of no failure beats 1-2 seconds of failure...

In the same dim light you will be able to use a faster shutter speed with TMY-2 than you will with Acros.
    At 10 seconds you only have to rate TMY-2 at ISO 320 (Much faster than Acros) and at 2 minutes you only add under 2 stops (Still faster than Acros).
    That is why it is faster. Nuf said.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 10-19-2013 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    In the same dim light you will be able to use a faster shutter speed with TMY-2 than you will with Acros. That is why it is faster. Nuf said.
    Huh?

All of my long exposures are 10 minutes to 3 hours long. So when you say "shutter speed" you're thinking of speeds like 1/8 second instead of 1/2 second? In that case yes it's faster simply because it's 2 stops faster speed film (well that's debatable, it seems to me to be more like EI 200, but that's a whole can of works I don't want to get into). But is that what you mean?

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He's saying it's faster out to an exposure time of at least two minutes. Eventually you may get to a time where Acros is faster, especially with times like you are using. But for most people a couple of minutes is a long exposure.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    He's saying it's faster out to an exposure time of at least two minutes. Eventually you may get to a time where Acros is faster, especially with times like you are using. But for most people a couple of minutes is a long exposure.
    Thanks, I think I JUST got it!! Because TMY-2 only looses 1/2 stop for x minutes after 1 second, it's effectively still Ei 200 after 1 second so that's faster than 100 at 0 reciprocity failure the first 2 minutes... Seriously it's taken me a year to get that! Duh!!!

Well, since I find I have to rate TMY-2 as EI-200 to get a good exposure, for me acros is still better haha, plus I like it's look better for many things and have trouble repeating results with it. Anyway again another story all together...

Thanks for helping me "get it"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this available yet?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Is this available yet?
    You can buy it from Fotoimpex in Germany. I checked and a box of 4x5 is about 24 euro, but postage to Sydney was 29 euro, which put me off. I'm waiting for it to arrive at Freestyle to see what their price and shipping will be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    You can buy it from Fotoimpex in Germany. I checked and a box of 4x5 is about 24 euro, but postage to Sydney was 29 euro, which put me off. I'm waiting for it to arrive at Freestyle to see what their price and shipping will be.
    Seriously the shipping costs more than the film? That's insane.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can you explain your thought process in saying TMY-2 is faster? Acros has a 2 minute failure, TMY-2 has a (forgive my poor memory) 1 or 2 SECOND failure with a ... Is it 1/2 stop after that?

Even at 2 stops faster ASA, 2 minutes of no failure beats 1-2 seconds of failure...
    There is far more to reciprocity failure than the point at which you need to begin correcting for it, what matters most is how much you need to correct. Draw a graph of total exposure time required against light level, it would be straight lines (pointing downwards at the right/bright end) with no reciprocity failure and lines at higher ISOs are lower (less time required). With long-exposure reciprocity failure, the left (dark) end of the graph curves upwards exponentially, i.e. more time is required. Different films have different exponents, so they curve up at different rates.

If you plot the graph for Fomapan (terrible reciprocity failure), it shoots upwards very steeply. Acros of course only has a very slight upward curve. TMY2 has a slightly steeper curve than Acros but for any exposure less than about 8 hours, the TMY2 and Acros curves do not intersect, i.e. TMY2 still has a shorter exposure. While it might be worse in terms of compensation required, the extra compensation is always less than 2 stops more than what Acros needs. You need days of exposure before Acros is better than TMY2.

If you shoot colour, I find that following the Acros tables for Provia 100F works very well (tested at 20 and 60 minutes) and the TMY2 table seems reasonable for Portra 400 though I haven't tested that much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Seriously the shipping costs more than the film? That's insane.
    For one pack, of course it does. Couriers from Europe to Australia ain't cheap until you start putting $500 of materials in the box.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin