Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,476   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of cautions.

First, the Massive Developing Chart (and App) is a little like wikipedia - things can be added that may not be right.

Use the times as a starting point.

Second, Bluefire is fairly esoteric, so it may require unusual times or temperatures.

Third, fixing times will vary with different types of fixer and different types of film - so it would help us if we knew what type of fixer you are using. The best way to determine the right time is to use a clip clearing test. Fix for as long as it takes a clip of film to clear, then replace the fixer with a second bath, and fix for the same amount of time again.

Fourth, I always use clips at both the top and bottom of the drying film. Several hours in a slightly humid environment works best. If, however, Bluefire is on an inherently curly base material, this will only reduce the curl, not eliminate it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowframe View Post
    This was much more adequate advice than I dared hoping for. For the next film I will agitate more thoroughly, maybe 5 sec every 30 sec and fix it for 10 min or in a two bath fixer. Hopefully this will create the full range greyscale I was hoping for. I will also let it hang overnight to dry. Does anyone no if there is any point in weighing the film down, to counteract the curling? It was PITA to to get it in to the film holders?
    What do you have against using Bluefire's recommended agitation procedure - constant for 12 minutes?
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    What do you have against using Bluefire's recommended agitation procedure - constant for 12 minutes?
    Whoa, I didn't even dream it was "constant"! Now I'm leaning more toward an agitation problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Whoa, I didn't even dream it was "constant"! Now I'm leaning more toward an agitation problem.
    I should add that it be "gentle". They recommend using a jobo or some such.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Firstly I'm not a geek. In picture 1, I thought it was the deer that should have antlers, not the man. Picture 2, probably over agitation as already stated. Picture 3, what sad message is this meant to convey?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Teamwork, but thats not the issue here. This kind of comments make me realize that there is something wrong with the world. Do you know what meat is? They do not produce it behind the counter. These are free ranging moose that has lived a full life in freedom totally devoid of antibiotics and medicines, hormones, slaughterhouses and other man made obstacles. It´s the only meat I eat.
    Last edited by Slowframe; 10-18-2013 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I have nothing against the advice, but I want the best possible highlight development possible. The advice was development for 16 min, no agitation for best highlights. Clearly I didn't go down that path. Constant agitation for 12 min will not give me the grayscale I want with this film so that is not an option, for now. So I think I will test 15 min, and agitation every 30 sec. I have twenty rolls to get there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    20 rolls... Please report back periodically as you figure it out. It looks like a really cool film and trying it will have to go on my list of things to do.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowframe View Post
    Teamwork, but thats not the issue here. This kind of comments make me realize that there is something wrong with the world. Do you know what meat is? They do not produce it behind the counter. These are free ranging moose that has lived a full life in freedom totally devoid of antibiotics and medicines, hormones, slaughterhouses and other man made obstacles. It´s the only meat I eat.
    I guess there is something to be said for growing your food, and hunting animals that you actually eat, as opposed to buying a chop off a cow that lived an awful painful life in small cage only to be zapped to death.

However, I dont eat meat, and i dont understand why one needs to kill an animal that so gracefully escaped all the man made terrors in this world, and you are correct, there is something wrong in the world, where it is a "sport" to hunt an animal with a high powered rifle and a long range scope. That moose just had it coming.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    I guess there is something to be said for growing your food, and hunting animals that you actually eat, as opposed to buying a chop off a cow that lived an awful painful life in small cage only to be zapped to death.

However, I dont eat meat, and i dont understand why one needs to kill an animal that so gracefully escaped all the man made terrors in this world, and you are correct, there is something wrong in the world, where it is a "sport" to hunt an animal with a high powered rifle and a long range scope. That moose just had it coming.
    And how does this relate to the topic of this thread?

To each his own. I will refrain from telling you how to live your life if you don't tell me how to live mine. I eat meat and enjoy it, whether it is an animal I raised for slaughter or one I took while hunting. I have done both. As for the rifle, I prefer to take the animal cleanly with no suffering so I use the proper tool for the job. I find nothing whatsoever shameful in that.

I also raise a lot of my own vegetables and fruit as well. Like the meat, they taste much better then most of what I can buy in a store.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin